Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 8, 2010

The Answer Sheet - Still trying to make sense of NBC's Teacher Town Hall

The Answer Sheet - Still trying to make sense of NBC's Teacher Town Hall

Still trying to make sense of NBC's Teacher Town Hall

This was written by Elizabeth Stein, a special education teacher from Long Island, N.Y. She was invited to attend the NBC's Teacher Town Hall — broadcast Sept. 26 as part of the network's week-long “Education Nation” events. Stein, a 10-year teaching veteran who holds National Board Certification in literacy, is a member of the Teacher Leaders Network. By Elizabeth Stein I consider myself lucky to have been one of the teachers in the live audience at NBC’s Teacher Town Hall event. But two weeks later, I’m still trying to make sense of the experience. I actually experienced a full range of emotions. It was exciting to be around so many educators with a mission. It was exciting to speak with many teachers and get involved in some meaningful discussions. And I have to say, the energy in the place was riveting. However, frustration wins as my emotional theme for the