Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 25, 2010

4LAKids - some of the news that doesn't fit: ICEF REVISITED

4LAKids - some of the news that doesn't fit: ICEF REVISITED

ICEF REVISITED

BY SMF FOR 4LAKIDS

I received a phone call this AM from Caprice Young -- the CEO of ICEF Charter schools. Caprice and I go back aways, if we are not friends we are colleagues in the shared mission of providing quality public education to all kids. In different time we have driven neighborhoods looking for sites for traditional schools in Hollywood and charter schools in Northeast LA.

Caprice called to take offense of some of my 4LAKids writing - and in particular my comments upon John Fensterwald’s piece in the Educated Guess http://bit.ly/baQ2uF re: the near financial meltdown of ICEF.

Monday, October 18, 2010: L.A. CHARTER GROUP LAYS OFF ONE-SIXTH OF STAFF: ICEF squeezed by state budget cuts and unwise borrowing + comments

I wrote:

smf: This piece has some excellent follow-on commentary, none of it rabid one-way-or-the-other. I invite all readers to read it here. That