Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 1, 2010

THE PERIMETER PRIMATE: Speaking truth to power

THE PERIMETER PRIMATE: Speaking truth to power

Speaking truth to power

Last Friday, in person, I told Arne Duncan just what I think. At least a tiny bit of it, anyway.
Duncan was in the Bay Area for three events: as the guest of U.S. Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey for a discussion on education reform, and to give commencement speeches at two community colleges, Foothill College and DeAnza College.
I attended the first event in Marin County which was held at an extremely affluent Mill Valley high school in the middle of the day.
Even though I’m a parent, not a teacher, I joined the group of teacher protesters who showed up and were permitted inside to stand at the back (sans signs). The event was basically a Q & A for educators of constituency districts.

Representative Woolsey moderated and invited questions from audience members: two from superintendents,