Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 2, 2010

So My Kids’ Generation Wants to Live a Balanced Life | Lefty Parent

So My Kids’ Generation Wants to Live a Balanced Life | Lefty Parent

So My Kids’ Generation Wants to Live a Balanced Life

America is a country shaped in many ways, for better and for worse, by Calvinist principles, both religious and secular (see my piece “American Calvin”). Perhaps the most persistent of these principles is the conventional wisdom that work is good for the soul, more work is better, and a failure to buy into this regimen is a severe moral failing. Our country was built on the hard work of individuals, not by “idle hands”. But a recent study by www.livescience.com, shows that my kids’ Millennial generation is more inclined to “work to live” and live a balanced life than my own Baby Boomer comrades.

According to this article summarizing the study the results suggest that…

Large generational gaps exist, particularly when it comes to work attitudes. The findings reveal young people just entering the workforce, often called GenMe or Millennials, are more likely than