Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

GUEST OPINION: Let me stay in prison - and teach | PressDemocrat.com


GUEST OPINION: Let me stay in prison - and teach | PressDemocrat.com:

"Seven hundred prison teachers are being laid off due to state budget cuts in the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Prison educational and rehabilitative programs are being gutted in the name of “streamlining” and efficiency. The 2 percent of the department's budget dedicated to education and rehabilitation has been cut to 1 percent.

I am one of those teachers. We have been declared “surplus” state workers, and our last day of work will be at the end of this month.

Yes, I'm concerned about losing my job and income. I've worked at San Quentin State Prison for two years and nine months. I was planning do it for another 15 or 20 years. Now I'll be collecting unemployment and seeking a teaching job in this economy."