
mikeklonsky

tomwhitby

CohenD

teacherken

DianeRavitch





Legislators in seven states -- Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, North Dakota and Utah -- are drafting legislation based on a school reform proposed by the Chicago-based Heartland Institute.
The "Parent Trigger" aims to improve education for K-12 students by giving parents the power to "petition to have their public school shut down or converted to a charter school, or give parents vouchers to pay for tuition at a non-public school," explains Bruno Behrend, director of the Center for School Reform at the Chicago-based free-market think tank.
Ben Boychuck, managing editor of School Reform News, has proposed that such a "Parent Trigger" be used to rescue the voucher program in Washington, D.C., which Heartland describes as "slated for extinction by President Barack Obama and Democrats in Congress" despite its
JANUARY 5, 2011
Former President Bush's No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and President Obama's Race to the Top plan place great accountability with school teachers and principals. One of President Obama's school intervention models replaces the principal and rehires no more than 50 percent of the staff at a low-performing school.
Society expects teachers to meet high standards. In response to these demands, many teachers have voiced their concerns. They want to be held accountable, and become valuable participants in the education decision-making process. One new and rising trend in public education today is innovative teacher-led schools.
The schools operate without principals and assistant principals. Teachers make decisions about school discipline, the curriculum, and the budget. They perform evaluations of each other. The key is shared
VOLUME 25, ISSUE 2 — WINTER 2010
As a special introduction to our website, the text of the entire winter issue of Rethinking Schools is accessible here, free of charge. If you aren’t already a member of Rethinking Schools, we hope a look at the exciting and thought-provoking articles in this issue will inspire you to join.
COVER STORIES • SAVING OUR SCHOOLS FROM $UPERHEROES
The outpouring of critique and activism that greeted the release of Waiting for “Superman” was a response not only to a misleading movie, but also to more than a decade of destructive policies and political rhetoric that is hurting our schools, our students, and our communities. Grassroots activists from New York to California turned out with picket signs, leaflets, and truth squads. Rethinking Schools’ Not Waiting for Superman website drew more than 15,000 positive responses in two weeks.
Our cover stories trace the politics and money behind this effort to “reform” public education out of existence.
Superhero School Reform Heading Your Way • Now Playing in Newark, NJ
By Stan Karp
The Ultimate $uperpower • Supersized Dollars Drive Waiting for ‘Superman’ Agenda
By Barbara Miner
FEATURES
By Dan Hardy
Inquirer Staff Writer
A lawsuit filed more than three years ago by several Lower Merion School District students and parents contending that some African American children were improperly classified as special education students or placed in "low-expectation" courses has been scheduled for trial.
The trial is to begin on Nov. 1, barring a settlement. Mediation efforts went on over much of last year but ended in December with no agreement.
The Lower Merion district, in a statement released Monday by spokesman Douglas Young, said it had "acknowledged . . . historical concerns surrounding minority achievement and supports." So, "the district has aggressively sought to take a leadership role in the effort to address minority achievement in the areas of educational programming, hiring, community engagement, and staff development," it said.
Continued litigation, the statement said, is not the way to achieve the plaintiffs' - and the district's - "goal of ensuring that every student is achieving."
The lawsuit, Blunt et al v. Lower Merion School District, was filed in July 2007 seeking class action on behalf of "all present and future African American students" in the district who, "because of defendants' acts and omissions . . . are denied access to the general education curriculum; are placed in below-grade-level classes; receive a
Los Angeles Unified officials unanimously approved a plan Tuesday that allows charter school operators for the first time to control their special education funding and run their programs, free of district rules and mandates.
Charter schools have asked to control their special education funding for years, as they do for their general student population. But LAUSD officials had advised against it, citing concern over the low rates of severely disabled students served by local charter schools.
Under the new plan, charter operators will be able to control their programs with only administrative oversight from LAUSD, which charter advocates assure will allow more of the alternative schools to serve a broader range of students.
"Today marks a victory for both charter schools and the district, as we strive toward improving services to
The legislation nullifies a Sept. 27 decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled that California illegally classified thousands of teachers in training as "highly qualified" in violation of the federal No Child Left Behind Act.
Under that law, all students are supposed to be taught by "highly qualified" teachers who have earned state teaching credentials, but a 2004 Bush administration policy allowed states to give that status to interns working
Posted on 1/04/11 • Categorized as Jerry Brown, State Budget, Taxes
The Sacramento Bee is reporting and sources are confirming to me that Gov. Jerry Brown will spare K-12 schools and community colleges further cuts when he presents the state budget on Monday – but only if voters continue the $8 billion in temporary taxes that are set to expire this year.
That scenario would be a big victory for schools in a year in which other parts of state government are expected to get whacked to wipe out an anticipated $28 billion state budget deficit over the next year and a half.
That’s not to say K-12 schools won’t face further problems; federal stimulus money that has protected districts somewhat the past two years will dry up this year, and many districts
Duncan Washington Post article at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/02/AR2011010202378.html?referrer=emailarticle
My criticisms at: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/education-secretary-duncan/a-response-to-arne-duncan.html?wprss=answer-sheet
Both available at: http://susanohanian.org/show_nclb_outrages.php?id=4085
THE SITUATION ROOM: Interview With Education Secretary Arne Duncan Aired January 4, 2011 –
…
BLITZER: All right. Let's talk about this article you wrote in "The Washington Post," because you
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/03/arne-duncan-new-congress-_n_803700.html
Teachers have been advocating for real reform: fully funding education especially at the most high-needs schools; implementing a deep, well-rounded, developmentally appropriate curriculum; reinstatement of vocational education; smaller class sizes; elimination of high stakes testing; freedom from scripted curriculum;
I have been following the back-and-forth debate over the legacy of Joel Klein’s service in New York City as Chancellor. I have no wise words on that legacy to offer here but I do want to make a comparison between his tenure and that of Michelle Rhee in Washington, D.C.
Apart from the substantial difference in the size of districts and tenure, Klein served eight years and Rhee only three, both were mayoral appointees and advocates of charters and more parental choice among schools. They accepted “no excuses” from teachers and principals, fought for pay-4-performance schemes, and thought that unions were major stumbling blocks to the kinds of reform they championed. Rhee’s brief tenure as a sprinter school chief will be remembered, I believe, as one where hostility to teachers and unions dominated reform talk