Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 26, 2010

Local teacher unions criticize good teacher/bad teacher legislation - DailyBulletin.com

Local teacher unions criticize good teacher/bad teacher legislation - DailyBulletin.com

Local teacher unions criticize good teacher/bad teacher legislation

By James Rufus Koren, Staff Writer

To Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and some education leaders, a bill by state Sen. Bob Huff, R-Walnut, is a common-sense measure aimed at helping school districts keep good teachers and more easily remove bad ones.

But teachers unions see the bill, which was approved last week by the state Senate Education Committee, as an attack on the protections that shield teachers from age discrimination and retaliation.

"We see it as an attack on due process," said Tyra Weis, president of Associated Pomona Teachers.

"It takes objectivity out of the process," said Rebecca Harper, president of the San Bernardino Teachers Association.

The most contentious parts of Huff's bill, Senate Bill 955, would make it easier for districts to fire teachers and allow districts to consider teacher effectiveness and other factors when deciding which teachers to lay off during difficult times.

Under current state law, with a few exceptions, districts must hand out layoffs based solely on seniority - that is, the most recently hired teachers would be the first to be laid off.

"It's not a good way to make a decision about who is teaching our kids," Huff said.

Schwarzenegger has touted the bill, saying current law "takes away the flexibility that school districts have" and "tells them that even if a teacher is effective and even if a teacher is fantastic ... none of that matters when it comes to layoffs."

But Harper said seniority should remain the chief criterion when deciding who gets



Read more:http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_14958270#ixzz0mCrAyEcY

Courtney Cox-Arquette, Chris Klein rally to support art education | OnTheRedCarpet.com

Courtney Cox-Arquette, Chris Klein rally to support art education | OnTheRedCarpet.com


Courtney Cox-Arquette, Chris Klein rally to support art education

Monday, April 26, 2010

Posted by Jacob Burch at 12:37:47 AM
Read more: Celebrity Causes, Celebrity Interviews, Courteney Cox-Arquette, Entertainment News, Video
Courtney Cox, Chris Klein, and others rally to support arts education in California schools.
Celebrities know how to put their star power behind a cause they believe in, and that was certainly the case this month at the Los Angeles Antique Show benefitting P.S. Arts.
Courtney Cox-Arquette, Chris Klein, Dita Von Teese, Abigail Spencer, Steven Weber, Kate Linder, and Marcia Cross all came out to support the program, which focuses on restoring arts education to public schools in California.
“As an artist, I want to help children be inspired the way I was inspired,” said Klein. “This something that kids need. This is something that kids deserve. This is something that kids want.”

Art is everything. I think. It’s just really important for kids to have outlets,” said Cox-Arquette.
For more information on the program, and how you can give back, just check out the P.S. Arts website athttp://www.psarts.org/.


Teachers consider year-round education | The Valley Vanguard

Teachers consider year-round education | The Valley Vanguard

Teachers consider year-round education

by Noah Essenmacher
Vanguard Copy Editor
AddThis

Graduates in education are unlikely to find themselves working in year-round school environments — unless they plan on working in other states.

According to the National Association for Year-Round Education (NAYRE), a year-round curriculum reorganizes the traditional calendar by redistributing some summer vacation days. This results in “shorter, more frequent vacation throughout the year.”

The association lists only five Michigan schools going year-round. The balanced calendar is more common in states such as California, which has about 270 listed schools, and Arizona, which has about 80.

So why are so few Michigan schools in session year-round compared to the number on the traditional calendar? In a special report for The Center for Michigan, Chris Andrews suggests that Michigan law discourages year-round education.

“The Legislature enacted a law several years ago that bans schools from starting before Labor Day, a response to tourism industry complaints that earlier starts were costing them business,” he writes. “Yearround schools must get a waiver from the Department of Education to open sooner.”

The city of Jackson’s Hunt Elementary School could be joining the ranks of balanced calendar

Polarizing educator talks education : The Collegian Online

Polarizing educator talks education : The Collegian Online

Polarizing educator talks education

By Thaddeus Miller | April 26, 2010 (3 hours ago)

An elementary education theorist from the University of Illinois at Chicago, Bill Ayers, visited Fresno State Friday as a guest of one of the school’s clubs.

The controversial figure spoke to an audience in the Satellite Student Union (SSU), where the event was moved to accommodate a larger crowd. Ayers challenged the educators and education students in attendance to meet their students’ individual needs, and not just see them as their grade level.

Outside of the SSU, about 12 protestors stood holding signs that said things like, “Support our constitution, not communism.”

Ayers was a member of an anti-war group called Weather Underground in the early 1970s, which took responsibility for bombings around the country during the Vietnam War.

After his speech and book signing, Ayers presented a film called “Central Station” to the Cineculture class and club, which sponsored his visit.

It was reported that his visit to Fresno’s Tower District on Thursday was also met with some protest.

Ayers sat down with The Collegian for a five-minute interview.

Q: Are you familiar with the student activism surrounding budget cuts in California?

A: My younger brother is a doctoral student at Cal [University of California, Berkeley], and he’s been part of it.

OC teacher strike continues as weekend talks end - San Jose Mercury News

OC teacher strike continues as weekend talks end - San Jose Mercury News

OC teacher strike continues as weekend talks end

The Associated Press
Updated: 04/25/2010 09:41:07 PM PDT

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO—A teacher's strike at Orange County's second-largest school district will spill into another school week.

California Teachers Association spokesman Bill Guy says after negotiating into the night Sunday, officials from the Capistrano Unified school district and the union representing its 2,200 teachers failed to reach a consensus and picket lines will continue.

Union spokesman Bill Guy says some progress was made over the weekend, and talks are set to resume at 11 a.m. Monday.

Almost three-quarters of the 52,000 students in the South Orange County district stayed home from school Friday after nearly 90 percent of the district's teachers went on strike.

They walked out of classrooms Thursday because of a 10.1 percent pay cut.

The union has said it will accept the cut, but only if it is temporary.

Linda Chavez: California dumbs down tests | stude - Featured Columnists - Appeal-Democrat

Linda Chavez: California dumbs down tests | stude - Featured Columnists - Appeal-Democrat:

Linda Chavez: California dumbs down tests

Comments | Recommend

When it comes to education trends, as California goes, so goes the nation. Which is all the more reason to be concerned about the latest effort in California to dumb down standards. The University of California's Board of Admissions and Relations with Schools (BOARS) has launched another salvo in its long-running war against the SAT, the test used by many colleges and universities to assess academic achievement among high school seniors. This is only the latest in a series of moves by BOARS against the SAT, but this one may be a stalking horse to eliminate standardized tests in general, especially if they conflict with the goal of promoting racial and ethnic diversity.

BOARS has already eliminated a requirement that University of California applicants take at least two subject-matter tests in addition to the SAT Reasoning Test. Now BOARS is taking aim at the SAT directly. What makes the action more suspicious is that BOARS' own report notes that the SAT-R was developed specifically in response to testing principles it promulgated and that the new test "adds significant gains in predictive power of first year grades at UC." Nonetheless, BOARS is now recommending that students forgo the SAT in favor of the less-

California weighs longshot bid for school funds

California weighs longshot bid for school funds

California weighs longshot bid for school funds

Monday, April 26, 2010

After coming in 27th out of 40 states the first time, California would have an uphill climb to win up to $700 million in the next round for federal Race to the Top education funds - an effort state officials could decide this week is a losing battle.

Or California could ignore the odds and decide to go for it.

The governor and education leaders are expected to announce as early as Tuesday whether they'll apply for the second round of federal school reform funding - a $4 billion pot to be spread among states that make the cut.

California failed to make it as a finalist in the first round, falling well shy of the points needed to get funding. Delaware and Tennessee were the only states that won first-round funding, receiving about 450 out of 500 possible points by coming up with plans with broad support to overhaul their school system.

California posted a final score of 336.8.

"There were some major gaps in our application," said David Richey, spokesman for Secretary of Education Bonnie Reiss. "The state and governor's office are looking at all the pieces to see if it's realistic for us to apply."

States have to declare their intent to apply by May 4 and file an application by June 1.

Indiana announced Thursday it would pull out of the race. Kansas dropped out a week



Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/25/BAFI1D41J6.DTL#ixzz0mCpWgncE

California's iconic master plan for higher education is in peril | San Bernardino County | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

California's iconic master plan for higher education is in peril | San Bernardino County | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

California's iconic master plan for higher education is in peril


Download story podcast

11:30 PM PDT on Sunday, April 25, 2010

By DAVID OLSON and MICHELLE L. KLAMPE
The Press-Enterprise

Fifty years ago, California promised its young people a top-notch college education that would be free or cost next to nothing.

Today, annual undergraduate fees are set to top $11,000 at some state-run universities, students are frustrated by fewer course offerings, and employee furloughs and layoffs are continuing. The 1960 master plan that served as a template for the state's higher-education system is in tatters.

As the plan turns 50 Tuesday, legislators, think tanks and academics are debating whether the iconic document remains relevant or whether it should be abandoned and replaced with a blueprint that reflects the state's new realities.

"I think this is a plan whose time has come and gone," said Patrick Callan, president of the San Jose-based National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education. "The message to young people used to be 'if you do your part, there will be a place in college for you.' We've eroded this commitment from top to

Sacramento council race for District 5 seat draws a crowd - Sacramento City News - sacbee.com

Sacramento council race for District 5 seat draws a crowd - Sacramento City News - sacbee.com

Sacramento council race for District 5 seat draws a crowd

Published: Monday, Apr. 26, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
A crowded field with experienced political candidates and neighborhood leaders is vying for the Sacramento City Council seat being vacated by Assembly candidate Lauren Hammond.
That's not surprising, given how rarely council members in this town give up their seats. The City Council has become a stable political position; every current council member is on at least their second term, and the last time an incumbent council member ran and lost was 1992.
Based on money raised and major endorsements, there appear to be two front-runners for Hammond's seat in District 5: Patrick Kennedy, a city school board member, former city planning commissioner and the former president of neighborhood groups in Oak Park and


Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/26/2705007/sacramento-council-race-for-district.html#ixzz0mColjBXX

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Schools Matter: Wall Street: Massively Fraudulent Sociopaths

Schools Matter: Wall Street: Massively Fraudulent Sociopaths

Wall Street: Massively Fraudulent Sociopaths

Here's the link to the Bill Moyers interview with Bill Black. It runs about 25 minutes. Here is a clip:

. . . BILL MOYERS: Why did it take so long for the Securities and Exchange Commission, the SEC, to kick into gear on this? I mean, have they kicked into gear?

WILLIAM K. BLACK Well, they haven't kicked into gear fully, or they'd be naming Blankfein and other senior leaders of Goldman. And they've, as you just mentioned, they've only gone after a junior person. And there would be, if they were really in gear, there would be criminal charges here. And if they were really in gear, there'd be a broad investigation, not just of Goldman, but of all of these major entities.

In the last three weeks, we have finally done a half-baked investigation, mind you. Not -- nothing like we did in the Savings & Loan days -- of Washington Mutual (WaMu), Citicorp, Lehman, and Goldman. And we have found strong evidence of fraud at all four places.

And we have looked previously at Fannie and Freddie and found the same thing. So the only six

"Is The New Facebook A Deal With The Devil?" - THE DAILY RIFF - Be Smarter. About Education.

"Is The New Facebook A Deal With The Devil?" - THE DAILY RIFF - Be Smarter. About Education.


Technology: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Makes you wanna go Hmmm. . . Too Big???

Are your kids on Facebook? Do THEY know?



"At first blush, it's hard from a user's perspective to find anything to criticize Facebook for in today's announcements. Those criticisms will no doubt start to form once people wrap their heads around all the particulars. On principal, though, there's going to be so much more Facebook around the internet that it feels like a real cause for concern. Centralization is a dangerous thing and Facebook is a young company that's proven willing to break its contract with users in the past (see Facebook's Privacy Move Violates Contract With Users)."

---From ReadWriteWeb

From ReadWriteWeb, "Is The New Facebook A deal With The Devil?":


"Facebook blew people's minds today at its F8 developer conference but one sentiment that keeps coming up is: this is scary. The company unveiled simple, powerful plans to offer instant personalization on sites all over the web, it kicked off meaningful adoption of the Semantic Web with the snap of the fingers, it