Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Burbank Leader Charter schools absent in area

Burbank Leader Education

IN DEPTH:
Charter schools absent in area


While L.A. Unified has 157, Burbank and Glendale are still at zero.

By Max Zimbert
Published: Last Updated Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:06 PM PDT
As Lyle Slack’s daughter prepared to begin sixth grade last year at Wilson Middle School, the Glendale resident and Woodbury University instructor changed course, instead enrolling his child at Renaissance Arts Academy, a sixth-through-12th-grade charter school in Eagle Rock.

“What got us thinking about moving our daughter, when she went from third to fourth grade at Glenoaks Elementary — her class went from 20 to 36,” he said. “When your class is up to 36, all you’re doing is being a traffic cop.”

After a tour of Wilson, Slack began researching alternatives.

There are more than 5,000 charter schools in 39 states and Washington, D.C., but nowhere are the campuses more promising than in Los Angeles, where the school district’s size, demographics and facilities are ripe for experimenting with education reform and reversing chronically low-performing schools, advocates said.


There are 157 comprehensive charter schools within Los Angeles Unified School District, but the tide so far has only lapped at the borders of Burbank and Glendale.

Options for Youth operates two charter facilities in Burbank focusing on at-risk youth, and it is not considered full-service.

“The extent to which charters exist in a given district or not depends largely on the politics of the school board,” said Priscilla Wohlstetter, a professor and the director of the Center for

California Chronicle | California Teachers Association Endorses Torlakson for State Superintendent of Public Instruction

California Chronicle | California Teachers Association Endorses Torlakson for State Superintendent of Public Instruction

California Teachers Association Endorses Torlakson for State Superintendent of Public Instruction

California Political Desk
CONCORD - The California Teachers Association (CTA) has voted to endorse Assemblymember Tom Torlakson's campaign for State Superintendent of Public Instruction. The election for the non-partisan office will take place on June 8, 2010.

The CTA has 325,000 members around the state and is the largest affiliate of the National Education Association.

"As a teacher and former CTA member, I am so honored to receive the CTA's support in the race for State Superintendent of Public Instruction," said Torlakson. "This endorsement is a great boost, not only to my campaign, but to our fight to ensure every single neighborhood school has the resources required to offer every California student a high-quality education in a safe and healthy environment."

"Tom is a teacher who has been a true champion of public education as a legislator. He has carried legislation to increase funding for textbooks, and worked with CTA to sponsor the Quality Education Investment Act, which has directed nearly $3 billion for proven classroom reforms to assist lower performing schools. CTA wholeheartedly gives its support to his campaign," said CTA President David Sanchez following the endorsement vote.

A second-generation teacher, Torlakson has applied his experience as a science teacher and high school coach to reform the way public education works as a member of the State Legislature. Torlakson has acted to improve student nutrition and physical education, give schools the funding support they need to ensure academic achievement,

State senators on education: 'Suck it up' - Home - The Orange County Register

State senators on education: 'Suck it up' - Home - The Orange County Register

State senators on education: 'Suck it up'


Teacher after teacher recently told me our divided legislators need to talk to one another to fix the educational funding crisis.
Good news: While I didn't exactly get them talking, I did get state senators on both sides of the aisle to agree on something.
But, I'm sorry to say, the agreement was that the next school year is going to be tough.
In the words of Senator Bob Huff, "Everybody's going to have to suck it in a little bit."
If you are inclined to get upset with Huff, chair of the Senate Republican caucus, consider it takes true leadership to deliver information we don't want to hear.
I had a boss once who would walk up and say, "I've got some bad news." It used to drive me crazy – until I realized he was giving my brain a moment to prepare for what was to come.
Huff's words are like that. Plain-spoken honesty is what we need from people we elect, regardless of the outcome. It's the only way to prepare.
Democrat Sen. Lou Correa practically applauded Huff's statement, not that he is satisfied with the sorry state of our educational system either.
"If he means suck it up, if he means we're going to have to struggle here, he's absolutely right," Correa told me.
To catch you up, some 1,500 teaching positions were eliminated in Orange County last year and another 2,219 pink slips went out in March. So, I'm visiting with teachers, legislators, superintendents, school boards and parents looking for solutions. Last week, we heard from teachers. Today, legislators have the floor. Next: superintendents.
Blaming Sacramento is pointless, Correa said. Instead, the senator pointed to the economy for the state's

Santa Clara County schools superintendent gets mixed marks - San Jose Mercury News

Santa Clara County schools superintendent gets mixed marks - San Jose Mercury News

Santa Clara County schools superintendent gets mixed marks

Updated: 04/06/2010 09:39:48 AM PDT

Click photo to enlarge
Now, 21 months into Charles Weis' tenure as the... (Courtesy Santa Clara County Board of Education)
Have your say

When trustees of the Santa Clara County Office of Education visited Oxnard in 2008, they came away dazzled by what they heard about Charles "Chuck" Weis, then superintendent of Ventura County schools.

"We thought he walked on water," said Anna Song, now Santa Clara County school board president.

Weis, 59, seemed the perfect captain to right Santa Clara County's listing ship, after the bitter and tumultuous ouster of Colleen Wilcox over alleged harassment of employees.

Now, 21 months into Weis' tenure as the county's top schools' official, dissatisfaction is mounting with a superintendent whom critics say is too often absent and ill-prepared. There are questions about whether he's

Officials tour Alisal schools - MontereyHerald.com :

Officials tour Alisal schools - MontereyHerald.com :

Officials tour Alisal schools

Interim superintendent vows quick improvement
By CLAUDIA MELÉNDEZ SALINAS
Herald Salinas Bureau
Updated: 04/07/2010 01:28:07 AM PDT

In an effort to turn the page at the troubled Alisal Union School District, the interim superintendent and state-appointed interim trustee toured its schools Tuesday to get acquainted with the students and their needs.

"We're sharing with the principals what our plans are," said John Ramirez, the interim superintendent. "We're just being visible. If we want to build a team together, we have to be out here."

Last week, the California State Board of Education appointed Monterey County Superintendent of Schools Nancy Kotowski as interim trustee to the Alisal district, a move made at an emergency meeting in response to recent decisions by Alisal's three-member board of trustees. The local board was not supposed to be making major decisions after the state board voted March 11 to appoint a trustee.

Ramirez is confident the state won't reverse his appointment, and is moving ahead with plans to review improvement plans at each school, build consensus among principals, and offer a proposal on improving student achievement in a few weeks.

Ramirez and Kotowski plan to hold a retreat with principals Friday as part of his strategy.

He said he intends to visit the schools frequently to monitor progress.

"It's part of my goal, being very visible," Ramirez said.

Mary Magaña, principal at Oscar Loya Elementary School, led Ramirez and Kotowski in a tour of the campus, beginning with the administrative offices and following with Robert Aragon's third-grade class.

Aragon is still basking in his students' recent third place finish in a worldwide math competition.

"One school in Central America had 500 students" competing, Aragon told the visitors. "It lasted 48 hours, the

Alberto Torrico: AB 656: A Movement Both Online and Off

Alberto Torrico: AB 656: A Movement Both Online and Off

The movement to save higher education is building momentum on the streets and on the Internet.

Californians understand the stakes. Over the past ten years, fee increases and painful budget cuts have undermined a system of higher education that was once the envy of the nation. These cuts in college programs and increases in fees are creating an ever-higher barrier to a quality education at exactly the moment when we should be investing in this proven economic engine.

The numbers speak for themselves. For every dollar invested in higher education, California nets $3 in return. Investing in higher education is the smartest choice California can, and should, make right now to jumpstart our economy.

For months, students - as well as faculty and community leaders - have been marching and holding rallies to make their voices heard. On March 22, nearly 5,000 students from San Diego to Sonoma marched to the Capitol steps in Sacramento, demanding solutions to save higher education.

One of the most immediate and important solutions is AB 656.

My bill, AB 656: Fair Share for Fair Tuition, is a simple and fair solution to funding higher education. A 12.5% severance fee on Big Oil will raise $2 billion a year for California's colleges

SB schools still in control - ContraCostaTimes.com

SB schools still in control - ContraCostaTimes.com
Long before the state released a list of the lowest performing schools in the state, more than half of San Bernardino district schools were failing under state standards year after year.

Thirty seven of the 67 schools are in the fifth year of program improvement, meaning their students failed to make adequate progress on standardized tests for at least six consecutive years.

Such schools are to receive focused attention from the state and district and could be taken over by the state if no improvement is seen.

But thus far, state officials haven't taken over any local schools and instead said they're leaving it to the local district to turn around the failing schools.

"They are to implement some form of alternate governance, but it is up to the distinct to determine what that will be," said Fred Balcom, director of district and school improvement for the California Department of Education. "Basically, the district comes up with a plan in Year 4 and implements it in Year 5."

Under state law, schools that fail to improve after five years must implement one of four corrective plans: replacing all or most of the staff including the principal, reopening the school as a charter, a state takeover or contracting with an outside entity to manage the school, or other major restructuring.

Most of the school districts with schools in program improvement have opted for "other," said Balcom.

"If they choose `other,' it's the

Schools tackle teacher-on-teacher bullying - USATODAY.com

Schools tackle teacher-on-teacher bullying - USATODAY.com
Schools tackle teacher-on-teacher bullying
Updated 3h 20m ago | Comments 25 | Recommend 5
Most schools have policies that target bullying, but they are usually aimed at students. Now, school districts in Iowa and California are developing rules to prevent teachers from bullying teachers.

"Kids are very vulnerable to what adults say. Adult modeling is a very powerful force in shaping youth behavior," said Stan Davis, a school guidance counselor in Sidney, Maine, and a bullying prevention expert

The Sioux City, Iowa, community school district approved its policy last April. Desert Sands Unified School District of La Quinta, Calif., is awaiting final passage later this month. The two school districts are believed to be the only ones nationwide developing anti-bullying policies for their adult employees, said Gary Namie, who — with his wife and fellow psychologist, Ruth Namie — founded the Workplace Bullying Institute in Bellingham, Wash.

Promoting an anti-bullying message among students is "undermined when a principal bullies a teacher in front of the kids," Namie said.

Though there are just two adult-specific programs so far, the concept may expand, Davis said

Nationwide, 41 states have anti-bullying laws affecting schools, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. A few states, such as North Carolina, Florida and Utah, include school employees with students in their measures, a USA TODAY review of those policies showed.

The Desert Sands school district spent $45,000 for consulting fees and training for its new bullying policy; a price tag some say was too much, considering the district faces a $15 million budget shortfall for the next school year, according to Superintendent Sharon McGehee.

"I just think the money should go toward the kids, not the adults," said Elizabeth Lira, a parent-teacher group member at the district's Ronald Reagan Elementary in Palm Desert, Calif.

L.A. Unified rescinds permit change, for now - latimes.com

L.A. Unified rescinds permit change, for now - latimes.com

L.A. Unified rescinds permit change, for now

Supt. Cortines responds to parents' outcry over curtailing the policy that allows students to attend schools in other districts. He postpones the change while he studies the issue.

L.A. Unified permits

A police officer stands guard as children join a protest outside the L.A. Unified School District headquarters. Families expressed relief when Cortines amended his permit decision, at least for the next year. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times /April 6, 2010)


Los Angeles schools Supt. Ramon C. Cortines said Tuesday that most students who attend schools outside of the district can continue to do so next year, a retreat from a recent, more restrictive policy that provoked an outcry from parents, other school districts and some members of his own Board of Education.

But whether students who live in the Los Angeles Unified School District will be allowed to continue to attend schools elsewhere after the 2010-11 school year remains unresolved. Cortines said he expects to return to the board in September with a new policy.

He said he will assess, among other things, why families are rejecting L.A. Unified for what they consider better options.

Speaking at a packed board meeting, Cortines said he had consulted with parents, other local superintendents and district lawyers, and concluded that the district had been neither clear nor consistent in handing out permits.

Applause erupted when Cortines announced that most students will continue receiving permits for next year. "I'm not knowingly going to harm the education of boys and girls and young people or

Daily 49er - Our View- Cortines, LAUSD to limit intradistrict transfers

Daily 49er - Our View- Cortines, LAUSD to limit intradistrict transfers

Our View- Cortines, LAUSD to limit intradistrict transfers

By Staff

|

Published: Tuesday, April 6, 2010

roadblock

Jeff Chang

The Obama administration’s “Race To the Top” education initiative carried out a crucial first step by granting two states, Delaware and Tennessee, $600 million in federal aid last Monday.

We may be biased in saying this — we want nothing but the best for the Sunshine State — but California should have received some of that money. Specifically the Los Angeles Unified School District, which is currently arguing over whether or not it will continue to grant permits to students wishing to transfer into surrounding districts, since the funding would have benefited it greatly. However, unlike Delaware and Tennessee, California has not taken the necessary steps to merit such funds. Both states have implemented a new system that rewards teachers on student preformance.

More than 12,000 students living in the LAUSD boundaries, ranging from elementary school to high school, have a permit allowing them to avoid attending their neighborhood schools.

LAUSD Superintendent Ramon Cortines has decided that this habit of intradistrict transfers is over. Yes, this move warrants anger but the superintendent has full authority to act in such a manner. L.A. schools need funds.

Cortines claims that the district has upgraded many of its campuses, so families should no longer be worried about the quality of education their children will receive.

By bringing students back into the district, LAUSD will receive $51 million in state funding.

Not suprisingly, the superintendent’s announcement resulted in heated debates between him and parents who are hoping to keep their children at the schools they are enrolled in. Cortines’ concern seems to be with revenue while parents are obviously concerned with the their children’s education.

Forcing students to attend their neighborhood schools would result in discomfort and this could ultimately affect their learning. Relocation means having to adjust to new teachers, new classmates and of course a new institution — all of which is stressful, especially when students do not think it necessary.

Although this new policy would bring in more money for the district, demanding that 12,000 students switch

Why Are Districts at Job Fairs After Laying Off Teachers? - KION - Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz - News Weather

Why Are Districts at Job Fairs After Laying Off Teachers? - KION - Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz - News Weather

Why Are Districts at Job Fairs After Laying Off Teachers?

Posted: Apr 06, 2010 6:25 PM PDTUpdated: Apr 06, 2010 7:01 PM PDT

Marina, CALIF- Tuesday dozens of school districts along the Central Coast went to CSUMB hoping to find teachers to hire. That leads to this KION question, why are school districts going to job fairs even though they laid off teachers? Central Coast News went to the job fair today to get answers.

Hundreds of teachers showed up for the teacher recruitment at CSUMB Tuesday. Despite thousands of layoffs, districts are still trying to fill specific needs.

Nadene Dermody has worked in the Spreckles Union School District as a music teacher for ten years. Last month she got a pink slip and now she's nervous she won't be hired back," We don't know, we don't know. Yes I'm Iooking around of course I think we all have families to take care of and mortgages to pay and therefore you have to solidify your future for yourself in order to make any plans," said Dermody.

Districts like Alisal Union, and Monterey Peninsula Unified have made dozens of teacher lay offs this year so why are they recruiting? "We might be handing out pink slips with one credential and we might be recruiting with another credential," said Monterey High School Principal Bill Crockett.

Teachers with credentials in math and science are in high demand. Also being a credentialed bilingual teacher will put you on the top of the interview list. Matthew Courtney is graduating from CSUMB with his credential next month. He is bilingual not deterred by the number of layoffs in Alisal Union School District, "The fact that they are giving people pink slips isn't really something I'm concerned about. I'm looking for my first job just like the other teacher credential candidates here