Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 29, 2010

Arne Duncan and Corruption At the Top : Indybay

Arne Duncan and Corruption At the Top : Indybay
Arne Duncan and Corruption At the Top
by Ann Robertson and Bill Leumer
Sunday Mar 28th, 2010 6:18 PM
A recent New York Times article (March 23, 2010) - discreetly tucked in the back pages of the newspaper − reported that Arne Duncan, Obama’s Secretary of Education, kept a confidential log of names of the rich and powerful who were trying to take advantage of their political connections to get their children admitted into Chicago’s best schools when Duncan was Chief Executive of the school system there.
http://www.workerscompass.org/robleum_03-26-2010.html

Arne Duncan and Corruption at the Top

By Ann Robertson and Bill Leumer

A recent New York Times article (March 23, 2010) - discreetly tucked in the back pages of the newspaper - reported that Arne Duncan, Obama’s Secretary of Education, kept a confidential log of names of the rich and powerful who were trying to take advantage of their political connections to get their children admitted into Chicago’s best schools when Duncan was Chief Executive of the school system there. On the list were local politicians and business people, including the state attorney general, the former White House social secretary (a personal friend of the Obama family), and an unnamed former United States senator. The Times based its information on an article in the Chicago Tribune.

We can all quietly speculate about the identity of the former United States Senator who was seeking special treatment for his children.

Peter Cunningham, Arne Duncan’s current spokesperson in the Department of Education, was questioned about Duncan’s activity in relation to the log.

The Times accordingly reported: “A spokesman for the Department of Education [Peter Cunningham] said Tuesday that the log was a record of those who asked for help, and that neither Mr. Duncan nor the aide who maintained the list, David Pickens, ever pressured principals to accept a child. Rather, he said, the creation of the list was an effort to reduce pressure on principals.”

The Times then directly quoted Cunningham as stating: “This was an attempt to buffer principals from all the outside pressure, to get our arms around something that was burdensome to them. It was always up to the principal to make the decision. Arne never ever picked up the phone.”

Given these statements, one might conclude that everything was in order and above-board.

Nevertheless, The Times also went on to observe: “The log noted ‘AD’ [Arne Duncan] as the person requesting help for 10 students, and as a co-requester

Parents fear students may lose placement outside L.A. Unified - latimes.com

Parents fear students may lose placement outside L.A. Unified - latimes.com

Parents fear students may lose placement outside L.A. Unified

Cortines wants to limit out-of-district permits to help curb budget shortfall. More than 12,200 students now use them.

L.A. Unified permits
Dana Middle School Principal Aileen Harbeck, right, shows Ivy Koester, 9, and other L.A. Unified students and parents around the Hawthorne campus. Transfer pupils from Los Angeles make up 18% of the Wiseburn School District's student body. (Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times / March 25, 2010)


Parents touring Richard Henry Dana Middle School in Hawthorne were impressed last week with descriptions of its history, science and arts programs, intrigued by a class conducting DNA experiments and pleased with the cleanliness of the campus. But one issue dominated: Will my child get a permit from the Los Angeles Unified School District to attend Dana?

It is a question on the minds of thousands of parents in the wake of a decision by Los Angeles schools Supt. Ramon C. Cortines to greatly limit permits that currently allow more than 12,200 students who live in the district to attend schools elsewhere.

Cortines, facing a $640-million budget shortfall, said he wants the transfer students back -- along with the $51 million they bring in state funding. L.A. Unified has been lax in allowing so many permits in the past, Cortines said.

He argued that the district has improved academics and school options so that families shouldn't feel the need to escape.

But students' flight from L.A. Unified factored into a controversial decision by the Beverly Hills school board, which voted in January to end special permits for hundreds of students who live outside of that city. According to L.A. Unified figures, 945 of those students were from the L.A.

voiceofsandiego.org | News. Investigation. Analysis. Conversation. Intelligence. - San Diego Schools Zig on Reforms While Obama Zags

voiceofsandiego.org | News. Investigation. Analysis. Conversation. Intelligence. - San Diego Schools Zig on Reforms While Obama Zags

San Diego Schools Zig on Reforms While Obama Zags

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

  • In the annual State of the District address, school board President Richard Barrera outlined his vision for school reform, which differs from many ideas pushed by President Barack Obama.

    Related Links

    Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:03 pm | Updated: 6:26 pm, Sun Mar 28, 2010.
    As President Barack Obama has unveiled many planned school reforms, San Diego Unified has steadily steered in the opposite direction from many of the controversial changes the feds seek.
    San Diego Unified didn't join in when California competed against other states for more school stimulus money -- partly because the federal contest required reforms. Obama wants to beef up teacher evaluations and include student test scores in how teachers are judged; San Diego has made evaluations less frequent for senior teachers and wants to deemphasize tests. Obama has praised experiments that pay teachers more for boosting scores or working in disadvantaged schools; San Diego has avoided them.
    The school district wants to put tremendous trust in teachers and principals -- the same people the Obama Administration wants to oust when test scores drag. The district prizes gradual change; Obama wants big shakeups for failing schools.
    School board President Richard Barrera called San Diego's example a competing "community

    End the blame game for education failures - MontereyHerald.com :

    End the blame game for education failures - MontereyHerald.com :

    End the blame game for education failures

    By HELEN OGDEN
    Guest commentary
    Updated: 03/29/2010 01:29:04 AM PDT

    The schools and what to do about them has been the subject of many recent headlines. In truth, it is not schools that are failing; it is the students who are failing. In many cases it can be said that it is the community, and even loving parents, that are failing the students.

    Recent guest commentaries by Paul Karrer and Sharon Michaels provided perceptive summaries of some problems confronting our educational system. Few things are more complex than the reasons behind our failing schools, and it is often said that for every complex problem, there is a very simple and very wrong solution. Firing principals and teachers is simple. It is much simpler, and cheaper, than implementing changes necessary to address the real and complex reasons behind student failure.

    It is unfair and counterproductive to place the blame for low achievement and the responsibility for raising test scores solely upon teachers and principals. It is time to stop the blame game and to roll up our collective sleeves.

    So what is the not-so-simple solution to the complex problem of pervasive academic failure in our schools? Most teachers are already doing all they can to educate this generation of children. They are using their own money to buy materials their districts can't afford to supply. They are coming in early, working late, and putting in weekend hours. They are being subjected to district micromanagement, prescribed-scripted teaching, endless testing and

    State Board Calls Special Session for Alisal Union - KION - Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz - News Weather

    State Board Calls Special Session for Alisal Union - KION - Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz - News Weather

    State Board Calls Special Session for Alisal Union

    Posted: Mar 28, 2010 6:37 PM PDTUpdated: Mar 28, 2010 10:50 PM PDT

    SALINAS, Calif. - The State Board of Education will hold a special meeting Tuesday to address one of the most troubled school districts in the county.

    Alisal's new superintendent John Ramirez Jr. says, he was unaware about the special session and was never notified by state education officials.

    This agenda item was posted on the California Department of Education web site Sunday. It notes the state is considering additional actions for the Alisal Union School District for purposes of taking immediate action to protect the public interest.

    "I'm going to be on the phone tomorrow," says Ramirez. "So, I know what it's about."

    That's the reaction from John Ramirez, after Central Coast News pressed him for details on this special meeting. He says, he's looking for answers just like we are.

    "I'm aware of the details," says Ramirez. "We became aware of it as it was posted, so we have not been able to contact anyone at the state department yet, but we are planning to address it on Monday."

    Central Coast News made several calls to the State Board, but they could not be reached Sunday. Ramirez thinks the State Board will discuss the state trustee that was assigned to the district

    Bigger class sizes seen as a step backward - ContraCostaTimes.com

    Bigger class sizes seen as a step backward - ContraCostaTimes.com

    Bigger class sizes seen as a step backward


    After 14 years and more than $10 billion spent for smaller class sizes, many California classrooms in the fall will move in the opposite direction.

    In just a few months, classrooms across the state will increase their student-to-teacher ratios in kindergarten through third-grade classrooms from 20 students to as many as 30, essentially reversing what was advocated more than a decade ago in better economic times.

    "My biggest fear is not knowing my students the way I got to know them when I had 20 and not knowing their needs and just being spread too thin," said Renee Chipman, first-grade teacher at Valle Vista Elementary School in Rancho Cucamonga.

    It's not that educators haven't advocated for smaller class sizes,

    First-grade teacher Renee Chipman teaches her students math this month at Valle Vista Elementary School in Rancho Cucamonga. Chipman's class will increase to 30 students next year. (Jennifer Cappuccio-Maher/Staff Photographer)
    but the state's dwindling cash flow and budget crisis has forced many districts to lay off teachers, resulting in some teachers having to take on combination-grade classes, additional students and responsibilities, educators said.

    "It's not about what's good for kids or education, it's about economic survival, and that's why you see these decisions to put more students into a classroom," said Ron Leon, Cal Poly Pomona associated professor of graduate studies in education.

    Concerns in the mid-1990s about how students performed on a national test coupled with California having some of the largest class sizes in the nation were the primary reasons why the state pushed for class size reduction.

    But the idea is no longer a reality for K-3 educators, who

    David Ellison: School reform requires community reform - San Jose Mercury News

    David Ellison: School reform requires community reform - San Jose Mercury News

    David Ellison: School reform requires community reform

    By David Ellison
    Oakland Tribune columnist

    CALIFORNIA HAS published its worst-schools list. The vast majority of the humiliated sites serve students who are predominately poor and/or minority.

    This comes as no surprise, of course, because California's and the nation's schools are more segregated by race and class today than ever — and we've long known that concentrating our disadvantaged kids in decrepit schools staffed too often with our least-qualified teachers might make it difficult for those kids and schools to succeed.

    Now we're going to "reform" those schools by, for example, giving the boot to their principals and teachers (thus discouraging other educators even more from considering a position in them).

    How did our schools end up so segregated more than 50 years after the Supreme Court ruled such an arrangement was, if not immoral, at least unconstitutional?

    For an explanation, look no further than hapless Kansas City, Mo., which must now close 28 of its 61 schools.

    As William Moran explained in his seminal book, "Race, Law, and the Desegregation of the Public Schools":

    "In 1954, Kansas City's segregated schools were more than 80 percent white, enrolled about 60,000 students, and

    Student-loan takeover slips through with health care law - Washington Times

    Student-loan takeover slips through with health care law - Washington Times

    Student-loan takeover slips through with health care law


    It passed with little fanfare in the slipstream of health care reform last week, but a looming overhaul of the nation's student-loan market may bring just as large a policy revolution in higher-education finance as Obamacare does for the nation's medical-delivery system.

    Private lenders are angry, and many colleges and universities are scrambling to adjust in the next three months, following passage by the Senate and House of a bill of "fixes" to President Obama's signature health care reform. Congressional Democrats used the must-pass bill as a vehicle to push through the long-sought student-loan package as well, making the federal government - not the private sector - the direct provider of federal loans to some 8 million students nationwide annually.

    "We were very disappointed," said Elena Lubimtsev, government-relations officer for Tennessee-based Edamerica, one of the nation's largest private providers of student loans. "... We lost our business. Congress took it from us."

    But reform backers said the change - revamping a system that dates back to the mid-1960s - will cut out the unnecessary middleman in college lending, the private commercial lenders

    Zach Friend: California's Failed Experiment

    Zach Friend: California's Failed Experiment

    California's Failed Experiment

    Zach Friend

    Zach Friend



    There are times in California where it is easy to ask yourself why you even bother voting for state elected officials. After all, over 40 percent of the state's discretionary funding is already allocated due to ballot measures and if you don't like something the electeds do, well, you can start an initiative to change it.
    In fact, over the last decade, California voters allowed over 100 propositions (initiatives) on the ballot to do just that. These propositions, or props as they are commonly known, cover such important topics as creating a "none of the above" option on ballots (failed) to ensuring the fair treatment of farm animals (passed). Some have relatively no bearing on the state budget, such as certain insurance reforms or school voucher proposals, while others are remarkable for their blatant attempt to hamstring the budget.
    In 1978, Proposition 13 was enacted, triggering an explosion in the number of ballot initiatives in California. Prop 13 imposed strict limits on local property taxes - much to the detriment of local government budgets and school districts. It also requires a two-thirds