Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 19, 2022

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007




New Edutopia Video: “Building Classroom Community Through Daily Dedications”
steveriot1 / Pixabay Last year, after reading an Edutopia article about “classroom dedications,” I wrote a popular post titled I THINK THIS IS A BRILLIANT IDEA FOR AN OPENING CLASS RITUAL – HERE’S HOW I’M MODIFYING IT FOR DISTANCE LEARNING. I have continued the practice this year. Now, Edutopia has created a video about the idea, building on its original article:
“Nix Protocol, Use Common-Sense Practices for Teacher Observations”
Nix Protocol, Use Common-Sense Practices for Teacher Observations is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Narrow the focus when you do a classroom observation, ditch the laptop, and engage with students are a few ideas for improving the practice. Here are some excerpts:
A Look Back: “Wow! Amazing New Video Created By Smithsonian Will Probably Be Used In A Zillion ELL Classes”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2018: The Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center published this amazing short film today. Here is how they describe it: “America is in the Heart” is a novel written by Carlos Bulosan in the 1940’s to

FEB 17

Friday’s New Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
congerdesign / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Supt. Carvalho confronts his first big decision: Should LAUSD relax mask requirements? is from The L.A. Times. LAUSD to k
A Look Back: Study Finds Adding More Periods Of Instruction That Didn’t Work In First Place Doesn’t Help High School Readers
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2017: I will always remember interpreting for a colleague who was telling a student and his mother that he offered tutoring after school everyday. “But, Mr. ____, you teach the same way then that I didn
Strategies For Encouraging Students To Make Multiple “Touches” On The Same Text
geralt / Pixabay For many student, especially English Language Learners, it can be very valuable to review a text multiple times – especially in content classes. It can’t just be re-reading it, though, time and time again. BORING! Each “touch” on the text needs to be for a different reason and, ideally, done in a different way. Of course, this is also the idea behind “close reading” (see The Best

FEB 16

A Look Back: “Guest Post: Classroom Management – Redirecting without Escalating”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2018: Editor’s Note: I’ve invited my colleague Phil Taylor to write a series of posts on “de-escalation.” I’m adding this piece to Best Posts On Classroom Management Phillip Taylor is an educator of 18
Book Bans Here, Book Bans There, Book Bans Everywhere!
Hermann / Pixabay Here are new additions to The Best Resources For Banned Books Week : Books are being banned from school libraries. Here’s what that does to students. is from USA Today. Why book banning is back is from Vox. This wave of book bans is different from earlier ones is from The Washington Post. In Tennessee, the ‘Maus’ Controversy Is the Least of Our Worries is from The NY Times.
More Useful Wordle Variants For Teachers & Students
Here are new additions to THE BEST RESOURCES FOR USING WORDLE IN THE CLASSROOM: Wordle With Friends is another version where you can play with friends and classmates in a private virtual room. I’m also adding this to The Best Online Games Students Can Play In Private Virtual “Rooms” My Wordle is another tool for creating your own Wordle-like games. Wordle For Kids “contains a dictionary of words
The Best Strategies For “Engineering” Text So That It’s More Accessible To ELLs
felix_w / Pixabay Though I, and all ELL teachers, have been modifying the appearance of texts for years to make them more accessible, I didn’t learn the phrase “text engineering” until I read a piece by Elsa Billings and Aída Walqui at West Ed (see first link on this list). Generally, it means not changing the words in a complex text (see The Best Places To Get The “Same” Text Written For Differe

FEB 15

Infographic Of The Week: “10 Travel Destinations for Post-Pandemic Life”
JESHOOTS-com / Pixabay I’ve been publishing an “infographic of the week” for awhile, and you can see them all here . This one is from Visual Capitalist, and you can see it here. Most of the time, they have a little box under their infographics saying that they can be reposted in other places, but didn’t with this one. So, I’ve just embedded their tweet about it below so you can see what it looks
Wednesday’s New Articles On School Reopenings
viarami / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: When Is It Safe To Lift School Mask Mandates? is from Five Thirty Eight. California school mask mandate will remain in place t
A Look Back: “How Income Affects The Brain” & What We Can Do About It
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2018: I published Another Study Finds Poverty’s Impact On “Cognitive Bandwidth” a few days ago, and it was a very popular post. It discussed the most recent research reinforcing the finding that poverty

FEB 14

A Look Back: “New Meta-Analysis Identifies Instructional Strategies To Help Struggling Adolescent Readers”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2018: What instructional strategies can best assist struggling adolescent readers? A new study, A Synthesis of Reading Interventions and Effects on Reading Comprehension Outcomes for Older Struggling Re
Today Is The Four-Year Anniversary Of The Parkland Massacre – Here Are Resources For Remembering, Teaching & Learning
The Parkland massacre happened four years ago today. You might be interested in the many related resources at Not Very “Best” Lists Of The Week: Gun Violence . On February 14th, 2018, a gunman stole the lives of 14 students and 3 educators at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Today we mourn with the Parkland families whose lives were upended and stand with those working to end the epidemic of
Frederick Douglass Chose This Day To Be His Birthday – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources About Him
Frederick Douglass chose this day to be his birthday. You might be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES FOR TEACHING & LEARNING ABOUT FREDERICK DOUGLASS . “I have no accurate knowledge of my age, never having seen any authentic record containing it…I do not remember to have ever met a slave who could tell his birthday.” Frederick Douglass, “Narrative” #OTD 2/14 1818(?)-date he chose https://t.co/jUHa

FEB 13

SEL Weekly Update
I’ve recently begun this weekly post where I’ll be sharing resources I’m adding to The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources or other related “Best” lists. You might also be interested in THE BEST SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES OF 2021 – PART ONE. Finally, check out “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resources . Here are this week’s picks: To Build New Habits, Get C
New Resources On Race & Racism
I’m adding these new resources to various “Best” lists. You can find links to all of those many lists that relate to race and racism at “Best” Lists Of The Week: Resources For Teaching & Learning About Race & Racism: Op-Ed: King was a critical race theorist before there was a name for it is from The L.A. Times. I’m adding it to The Best Websites For Learning About Martin Luther King , Jr. and to
A Look Back: A Fourth Step: “I Do, We Do, You Do” and then “You Teach”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2018: As regular readers know, I’m a big fan of creating the conditions where students can teach their classmates (see The Best Posts On Helping Students Teach Their Classmates — Help Me Find More and m
Monday’s New Tweets & Articles On School Reopenings
wiredsmartio / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Will schools require Covid-19 vaccines for students? is from Vox. Science, not politics, should dictate school mask manda
Six Ways For Students To Be Powerful In The Classroom – What Are More Ideas?
Pexels / Pixabay The Ikea Effect (see Video: “How the ‘IKEA effect’ can motivate people to work [& learn] harder” ) – basically, we are more invested in something if we feel we contributed to creating it – is not big news to just about anyone. As many experienced teachers know, this holds true in the classroom, also. I was prompted to write this post because of a couple of things that happened th

FEB 12

Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 22,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2020 Here
A Look Back: Here’s A Reflection Exercise I Did With My Student Teacher
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2017: Being a student teacher and supervising a student teacher offers unique challenges. You might be interested in a three-part series on the topic I did at Education Week Teacher. I’ve probably had 1

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007