Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 11, 2021

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007



“Anti-Racist Teaching Strategies for Predominantly White Schools”
Anti-Racist Teaching Strategies for Predominantly White Schools is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Creating common vocabulary and safe places for students and strengthening their critical-analysis skills support anti-racist teaching. Here are some excerpts:
A Look Back: “Being ‘Transactional’ Versus Being ‘Transformational’ in Schools”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . Today, I’m highlighting a piece I wrote for The Huffington Post a number of years ago, Being ‘Transactional’ Versus Being ‘Transformational’ in Schools . In it, I discuss how both community organizers, political scientists and educatio
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
BiljaST / Pixabay Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2020. Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners. In additi

DEC 09

The Best Fun Videos For English Language Learners In 2021 – Part Two
My end-of-year “Best” list posts continue… I use short, funny video clips a lot when I’m teaching ELLs, and you can read in detail about how I use them in The Best Popular Movies/TV Shows For ESL/EFL (& How To Use Them) . In short, there are many ways to use them that promote speaking, listening, writing and reading (including having students describe – in writing and verbally – a chronological d
Most Popular Posts Of The Week
I’m making a change in the content of the regular feature. In addition to sharing the top five posts that have received the most “hits” in the preceding seven days (though they may have originally been published on an earlier date), I will also include the top five posts that have actually appeared in the past week. Often, these are different posts. You might also be interested in IT’S THE FOURTE
A Look Back: “Bribing students: Another ‘magical solution’ that doesn’t work”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . Today, I’m highlighting a piece I wrote for The Washington Post several years ago titled Bribing students: Another ‘magical solution’ that doesn’t work . Here’s an excerpt:

DEC 08

Dec. 18th Is International Migrants Day – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources
YvonneScholz / Pixabay The United Nations has declared December 18th to be International Migrants Day . You might be interested in: The Best Sites For Learning About World Refugee Day The Best Sites For Learning About Immigration In The United States The Best Places Where Students Can Tell Their – And/Or Their Families – Immigration Story The Best Posts On The Migration Policy Institute Report On
Classroom Instruction Resources Of The Week
Each week, I publish a post or two containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES ON INSTRUCTION IN 2021 – PART ONE . Here are this week’s picks: Four Ways (in One App) to Help NASA Study the Changing Planet is from Discover. I’m adding it to THE BEST SITES WHERE STUDENTS CAN PARTIC
A Look Back: New Study Finds That Using Cellphones During Lectures Hurt Exam Scores, But That’s Not The Most Important Result
This blog has gained many new readers over the past year. Because of that, I thought it might be worth sharing a daily “A Look Back” where I share a best post from the past fourteen years. You can also see all of my choices for “Best” posts here . This post appeared in July, 2018. Plenty of research has found that using cellphones in class – for non-class related purposes – hurts academic achieve
Wednesday’s New Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
sweetlouise / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Schools Are Closing Classrooms on Fridays. Parents Are Furious. is from The NY Times. LAUSD’s independent study program is

DEC 07

A Look Back: The Importance Of Knowing What You Don’t Know
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . In 2012, I published The Best Resources On The Importance Of Knowing What You Don’t Know . Here is an introductory comment I made in it:

DEC 06

Here’s A New “Individualized” Homework Strategy I’m Trying With My English Language Learner Students
OpenClipart-Vectors / Pixabay I’m generally not a fan of giving homework. However, since it typically takes three-to-six-years to develop academic English proficiency, and the majority of Newcomers who enter high schools often have the low-end (if that) of that number of years to graduate, it may very well be in insurmountable challenge if the limit their study of English to class time. Of course
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 22,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2020 Here
A Look Back: It’s No Surprise To Teachers, But Research Suggests That Most Benchmark Assessment Are Useless
This blog has recently gained many new readers. Because of that, I thought it might be worth sharing a “A Look Back” where I periodically share my favorite from the past fourteen years. You can also see all of my choices for “Best” posts here . What classroom teacher doesn’t hate those so-called benchmark assessments that districts often force us to give to students? Today, education research Rob
Poll Says Trust In Teacher Declines A Bit
Ipsos has released a poll on who the public trusts the most, and it suggests that trust in teachers has declined by six percent since 2019. It’s also important to keep in mind that the poll has a margin of error of between 3.5 and 5 percent, so it’s very possible that the decline is insignificant. Of course, from our pandemic saint-like peak to – in some quarters – then becoming distance learning
New ABC Sitcom Series “Abbott Elementary” Looks Like It Might Have Potential
Conmongt / Pixabay Comedian/writer Quinta Brunson has the premiere of her new sitcom Tuesday night on ABC. It’s a “mockumentary” style show that’s based “on her mother’s experience as an elementary school teacher in Western neighborhood of the city of Philadelphia.” Here are a couple of trailers – it looks like it could be good:

DEC 05

Monday’s New Articles On School Reopenings
geralt / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: In a San Francisco high school, the scars of remote schooling linger is from The Washington Post. Court halts San Diego schools
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in seeing all my “Best” lists related to education policy here ): Michael Bloomberg pledges $750 million to expand charter schools is from The Washington Post. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles Analyzing Charter Schools . 13 ways charter schools shape their enrollment is from The Was
All End-Of-Year “Best” Lists For 2021 In One Place!
I’ve begun posting my end-of-the-year “Best” lists for 2021, and will be adding links to each one in this post. There should be close to thirty by the time I’m done! You can see all the mid-year lists at ALL 2021 MID-YEAR “BEST” LISTS IN ONE PLACE! and all previous annual lists at All My “Annual” Best List Collections. Here’s what I’ve shared so far this year: THE BEST ONLINE LEARNING GAMES – 202
A Look Back: Home Culture Project – With New Examples & Student Handouts!
This blog has recently gained many new readers. Because of that, I thought it might be worth sharing a “A Look Back” where I periodically share my choices for the most important posts from the past fourteen years. You can also see all of my choices for “Best” posts here . Free-Photos / Pixabay I’ve previously posted about the Home Cultures project that my students do each year (you can see the re
Meme Of The Week: Interstellar, Ted Kennedy, & No Child Left Behind
aitoff / Pixabay I’ve been making a fair number of school-related memes lately, and you can see them all at “BEST” EDUCATION MEMES OF THE YEAR – 2021. Here’s my latest, and you can make your own here . https://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/files/2021/12/Interstellar.mp4

DEC 04

The Best Year-In-Review Features For 2021
Here’s another end-of-year list. You can see the many previous year’s editions, along with many other Social Studies-related “Best” lists, here. I’ll obviously be adding more links as we get later into December. Here’s what I have so far (and, believe me, this list will get a lot longer!): From Capitol riot to cicadas, outer space to the Suez Canal: A visual dive into 2021’s biggest stories is fr
A Look Back: An Outline For How Students Can Learn To Write Essays Inductively
This blog has recently gained many new readers. Because of that, I thought it might be worth sharing a “A Look Back” where I periodically share my choices for the most important posts from the past fourteen years. You can also see all of my choices for “Best” posts here . I’ve written a lot – both here and in my books – about teaching and learning inductively (see The Best Resources About Inducti

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007