Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 2, 2021

THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS Dad Gone Wild Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it

 Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.


THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS 
Dad Gone Wild 
Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it



ARE WE NOW CELEBRATING THOUGHTS OVER DEEDS?
“there was no honor among thieves. Boys in the game only respected you in direct proportion to how much they needed you divided by how much they feared you.” ― S.A. Cosby, Blacktop Wasteland I’ve probably told this story bout a dozen times, but I’m going to tell it again because it continues to be relevant. Back in 1989, when I moved to the not-yet-booming metropolis of Nashville, I went to work
IT’S GOOD TO HAVE FRIENDS
Well I was movin’ down the road in my V8 Ford I had a shine on my boots, I had my sideburns lowered With my New York brim and my gold tooth displayed Nobody give me trouble ’cause they know I got it made I’m bad, I’m nationwide Well I’m bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, I’m nationwide – ZZ TOP, I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide There is always a Tennessee connection. Always open the links and read them when they ar
THE DANGERS OF JUST SKIMMING
“He who controls the spice controls the universe.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune Long-term readers of this columned are likely familiar with the term, “Friday news drop”. For the newly initiated, the “Friday news drop” is the term applied to the practice of dropping news late in the day on Friday, in hopes that it will go unnoticed by most. The thinking is that people become occupied with other activitie
THE LIMITS OF SPIN
“When people make a contract with the devil and give him an air-conditioned office to work in, he doesn’t go back home easily.” ― James Lee Burke, In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead Tennessee’s Governor Lee fancies himself a bit of an education savior. Since taking office, education has been a primary focus of his administration, oft referencing what he feels are the education policy fail
IF TOMORROW NEVER COMES
“I don’t like questions. They invent the answers. The real answers are discovered, before you even know what the question is.” ― William McIlvanney, Laidlaw The other day I was scrolling through my social media posts when I came upon the following from an old friend, “My kids graduate in May. My plan is to speak at the June school board meeting followed by however meetings it takes me to get the
IS THE BIG TEST HEADED FOR THE BIG CRASH?
“When you battle with your conscience and lose, you win.” ― Henry Youngman It’s been another one of the weeks. The kind that seems to grind you down, and leave you questioning your own grasp of reality. The kind that wears you to the bone, yet the to-do list never seems to shrink. The kind that leaves you with more questions than answers. The kind that seems to have become the “new norm”. Let’s s
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE TIMING
“No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.” ― George S. Patton Jr. For those of you who are unfamiliar, TOSS is the Tennessee Organization of School Superintendents. All of Tennessee’s individual school superintendents are members, and it’s led by Dale Lynch, as political a leader as you’ll ever meet. Lynch was appointed Executive Director of TOSS on July 1, 2017. Prior to that, he had be
STOP, HEY, WHAT’S THAT SMELL?
“Human knowledge progresses when people recognize that they may be wrong even on issues that seem certain to them. Wisdom involves openness to those who disagree with us. It is only when our ideas have been subjected to criticism and all objections considered—if necessary seeking these

 Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it