Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Arthur Camins: My Hopes and Dreams for My Grandchildren’s Education | Diane Ravitch's blog

Arthur Camins: My Hopes and Dreams for My Grandchildren’s Education | Diane Ravitch's blog
Arthur Camins: My Hopes and Dreams for My Grandchildren’s Education




Arthur Camins has had a fruitful career as a teacher, science educator, and technology expert. He writes here about the kind of education he hopes his grandchildren will have.

He begins:

Persistent inequity and underfunding, especially after decades of emphasis on test-based accountability and privatization, largely unopposed increases in racial and socioeconomic segregation, and four years of leadership by an active opponent of public education bring us to a moment of choice for K-12 public education in the United States: Change or give up on the needs of most of America’s children.

I usually write what I hope are persuasive essays about education policy and other social justice issues. However, the divisiveness of the last election demonstrates that we can’t argue or campaign our way to lasting fundamental change through presidential elections.  The change we need begins with building relationships through shared multiracial conversation and struggle.  

Today, I offer my hopes for my two grandchildren and the rest of the children with whom they will grow up and live CONTINUE READING: Arthur Camins: My Hopes and Dreams for My Grandchildren’s Education | Diane Ravitch's blog