Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 4, 2020

I Have Met the Enemy, and It Is iPhone | deutsch29: Mercedes Schneider's Blog

I Have Met the Enemy, and It Is iPhone | deutsch29: Mercedes Schneider's Blog

I Have Met the Enemy, and It Is iPhone




With the advent of coronavirus-induced, hybrid instruction, I find myself not only having to learn how to teach using Google Classroom to deliver lessons but also having to learn how to combat a higher level of cheating enabled by the wedding between Google Classroom and the iPhone in my students’ hands.
My lesson this week: The iPhone enables screenshots of my out-of-class, Google Classroom quizzes to be shared among my students.
For my Google Classroom quizzes, I usually disable the options for students to immediately see their final grade upon submitting an assignment and also to view correct answers for each question after submitting work. Well, last week, I forgot to disable these features on one quiz, and a handful of my students were able to see the answer key, so to speak, once they submitted their assignments. I found this out because one sent me a message asking to retake the quiz because “a 55 is unacceptable.”
When I saw that he knew his actual score, I thought, “Uh, oh.” And I immediately disabled the two features mentioned above. (Once I disabled the features, students who initially saw the answer key could no longer view it.) I did remember to disable “edit after submit,” so students could not take a quiz, see the answers, then retake the quiz after viewing the answer key. At the time, only six of my 110 students had completed the quiz, so I thought I might have caught it in time. 
Apparently not.
My quizzes are difficult, and I usually curve. I noticed that one student scored remarkably well– not perfect, but well.
Over the next two days, five other students scored exactly the same, remarkable CONTINUE READING: I Have Met the Enemy, and It Is iPhone | deutsch29: Mercedes Schneider's Blog