Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Pandemic Ed: What If the Wireless Is Out? | deutsch29

Pandemic Ed: What If the Wireless Is Out? | deutsch29

Pandemic Ed: What If the Wireless Is Out?


Interesting situation today.
I have been creating assignments suited to online learning, which basically means that I have to rethink my teaching and create an entirely new, pandemic-adjusted, English IV course. I am trying to get a number of such assignments ready to go prior to my return to school on August 20, 2020. Since students are not slated to return until September 08, 2020, I will have theoretically have some time to work on this online-based curriculum for some weeks prior to hving students. However, I am not sure what to expect between August 20 and September 08, so I do not want to count on having that time to work on assignments.
Today, I decided that it flexible due dates will have to be the “new normal.”
My phone line was dead, which meant I had no internet in my home.
This is the third time such has happened in the past year, but it is the first time since the pandemic hit.
I can’t just walk into Starbucks and settle in for several hours. Needless to say, now, it’s much more complicated.
I drove to a Starbucks near me, and I planned to sit in my car and tap into their wireless. Nope. Even though Starbucks is allowing customers to enter the store to purchase coffee, apparently, they have shut off their wireless (likely in an effort to discourage congregating in their shops).
So, I tried a nearby McDonalds. It worked, sort of. I was able to access the free wireless from my car (and I am glad to have a car to safely sit in because it started raining), but I could not access my school email because my browser did not like McDonalds’ unsecured wireless, and I could not reply to email from my CONTINUE READING: Pandemic Ed: What If the Wireless Is Out? | deutsch29