Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 9, 2020

A VERY BUSY DAY Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


A VERY BUSY DAY
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day...
The latest news and resources in education since 2007




“Q&A Collections: Cooperative & Collaborative Learning”
Q&A Collections: Cooperative & Collaborative Learning is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. All Classroom Q&A posts sharing advice on Cooperative & Collaborative Learning (from the past nine years!) are described and linked to in this compilation post. Here’s an excerpt from one of them:
Ed Tech Digest
Nine years ago, in another somewhat futile attempt to reduce the backlog of resources I want to share, I began this occasional “” post where I share three or four links I think are particularly useful and related to…ed tech, including some Web 2.0 apps. You might also be interested in THE BEST ED TECH RESOURCES OF 2020 – PART ONE , as well as checking out all my edtech resources . Here are this w
A Look Back: I Will Never Teach Another Lesson on “Grit” Without Including This NY Times Piece On The Value Of Quitting
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from the first half of this year. You can see the entire collection of best posts from the past thirteen years here . Conmongt / Pixabay I’ve certainly taught my share of lessons on “grit” over the years (see The Best Resources For Learning About “Grit” ). In them, I’ve generally included a very
Three Useful Videos About The Police
Alexas_Fotos / Pixabay I’m adding these three new videos to USEFUL RESOURCES FOR TEACHING & LEARNING WHAT “DEFUND THE POLICE” MEANS :
Great – & Free – Online Virtual Professional Development Conference On July 25th For ELL Teachers (& I’m Not Just Saying That Because I’ll Be Giving The Keynote)
VirtuEL is an annual free day of professional development for English Language Learner Teachers. It’s organized by Tan Huynh and Carol Salva. This year’s conference takes place on Saturday, July 25th, and you can read all about it here . There are lots of very useful workshops being offered. I’ll be giving this year’s keynote, and the topic is: We “will either find a way or make one”: Overcoming
State California Teachers Association Says To Start The Year With Remote Teaching
In the face of today’s Trump administration insanity (see THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION LOST ITS MIND TODAY ABOUT REOPENING SCHOOLS ) , our California Teachers Association did what they had to do, and what every teachers union in the United States should do – take Donald Trump head on. You can read the letter it sent to the Governor and other state officials here. The letter goes on to say: From a pub
If You Teach Science, I’d Recommend You Participate In This Summer Book Study
This summer’s #EllChat_BkClub is starting now, and you can find out all the information about it here. The book study is on two science books – the new The Science Teacher’s Toolbox , which Katie Hull and I edited, and Teaching Science to English Learners , which I helped the Science teachers at our school adopt for a fall book study last year. The next book on the book club’s list in August is T
For What It’s Worth, Here’s My Thinking Right Now About Reopening Schools
geralt / Pixabay Discussion about fall school reopening is hot-and-heavy these days. Here’s my latest thinking – for what’s worth: Lots of districts have already made a definitive decision to reopen in various ways – five days per week for everybody, hybrid models, etc. I wonder if districts like ours who have not made determination yet should plan on opening with full-time well-planned remote le
Useful Summary Of Education Research Findings
DariuszSankowski / Pixabay Education researcher Cara Jackson shared a useful thread on Twitter this week. She gave me permission to share her tweets here. I’m just highlighted a few of them, but the whole thread is worth reading. They provide a pretty good ideas of what researchers have said works to improve academic achievement. She comments on John Hattie’s research, and you might be interested
The Trump Administration Lost Its Mind Today About Reopening Schools
Conmongt / Pixabay The Trump Administration has been losing its hold on rationality over the past couple of days in their efforts to force schools to reopen for a regular schedule (see DEVOS TELLS TEACHERS THAT THEY JUST NEED MORE SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING SKILLS, NOT MORE MONEY, TO OPEN SCHOOLS SAFELY and Trump Administration Uses Money To Pressure Colleges To Teach In Physical Classrooms – I Be
“Q&A Collections: Teaching Social Studies”
Q&A Collections: Teaching Social Studies is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. All Classroom Q&A posts sharing advice on Teaching Social Studies (from the past nine years!) are described and linked to in this compilation post. Here’s an excerpt from one of them


Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007