Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

My Personal COVID-Protection Plan | deutsch29

My Personal COVID-Protection Plan | deutsch29

My Personal COVID-Protection Plan


I teach high school.
In my professional world, universal social distancing and mask-wearing on campus are aspirational, not practical.
So, I have been working on a plan to distance myself from contracting COVID to the best of my ability, if/when I am teaching on campus in 2020-21.
Here are my plans and the thinking that led up to them:
I can contract COVID via my eyes, nose, and mouth. For nose and mouth, I have purchased a pretty decent adjustable mask that I could wear all day, if need be.
As for my eyes: I shopped protective eyewear and found goggles that convert to glasses. They were not sealed completely around the face, so I created a seal using black duct tape.
Thus, what I now have is reasonable barrier to protect eyes, nose, and mouth in situations in which others are not doing the same on my behalf. Mind you, this is not the same as official hazmat gear, but it creates a really good barrier, and creating that barrier is what I am after.
Social distancing is important, but I believe barriers in general are also important for protecting myself (and others) from COVID. It is better to sneeze into a napkin, or to even put one’s head inside one’s own shirt for a sec when CONTINUE READING: My Personal COVID-Protection Plan | deutsch29