Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 18, 2020

Teaching Remotely During the Pandemic | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Teaching Remotely During the Pandemic | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Teaching Remotely During the Pandemic
Cartoonists have acerbic pens. read some storiesIn the New York Times, kindergarten teacher Rachel Miller in Georgetown, Massachusetts described teaching her class from home.
Last week, I ran my first virtual small-group kindergarten class. We read a book, practiced our letters and sounds, and did some math; all this to the tune of a dying, chirping fire detector, the clanging of dishes being put away, a dog barking and radio silence from the child whose audio wasn’t working. One student would disappear and return carrying her cat, then lie down on the couch, while another wriggled and squirmed, clearly uncomfortable in his too-big chair.
It was every bit as awkward and wonderful as I’d imagined. Not only did I see my kids, but I saw my kids in one of the most authentic ways possible: at home, in their space, with their families (and pets). Don’t get me wrong. Virtual teaching and learning is less than ideal. But I’m beginning to get a glimpse into the lives of my students outside of school in a way that has never been possible. Also, they saw my dog walk by in the background, and it dawned on them that teachers have houses and families, too.
In public schools across the United States, we rush and race to get through content to prepare students for a standardized test. All of it feels (dare I say, is) inauthentic and procedural, but on that Thursday, as I sat in my kitchen with three of my kindergartners, in all of its awkwardness and discomfort, all I felt
CONTINUE READING: Teaching Remotely During the Pandemic | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice