Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 24, 2020

Worker’s Dilemma – radical eyes for equity

Worker’s Dilemma – radical eyes for equity

Worker’s Dilemma


A former first-year student of mine, about to graduate during the Covid-19 pandemic, emailed me recently since we will miss the chance to talk face-to-face before graduation. This student was incredibly kind about the role I played in their undergraduate journey, offering this as well: “I came to you with concerns over a major sophomore year, and instead of lecturing me you asked me what my dream job was.”
This student made some dramatic changes to their life and college career then, and now, I think is on a path that will be far more fulfilling. But this situation plays out over and over, and quite differently, at my selective, small liberal arts university.
The students at my university are often socially and economically conservative, or at least come from homes that are socially and economically conservative. These students are keenly aware of viewing a college education in terms of return on investment.
In other words, is there major going to lead to a career that justifies the price tag of those four years (and often the additional years of graduate school that follow)?
More often than not, I interact with students who want to follow their bliss, but their parents want them to respect their investment—by preparing for a high-paying career.
My journey to and through college was quite different in most ways than the CONTINUE READING: Worker’s Dilemma – radical eyes for equity