Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Teacher in South Dakota: I Will Not Send Home Any Packets | Diane Ravitch's blog

A Teacher in South Dakota: I Will Not Send Home Any Packets | Diane Ravitch's blog

A Teacher in South Dakota: I Will Not Send Home Any Packets


A teacher in South Dakota writes here about her love of teaching, her love of her students, and how she is handling the current crisis.
She writes:

Let me preface this by saying that I am passionate about education. I enjoy being a student, and I love being a teacher. Of all of the things that I joke about in life, my job as a teacher is taken very seriously. Also, I love my students. LOVE THEM. Would-bring-them-all-home-with-me-without-calling-my-husband-first kind of love.
Right now, I can’t sleep at night. I have this turmoil built up inside of me that physically hurts. If you are a teacher who can say with 100% certainty that you are not worried about any of your students or their ability to do learning from a distance, then you are blessed and this isn’t about you. I am not that lucky. I didn’t really feel like going out and gathering numbers but just knowing what I know, I have to assume that there aren’t many teachers out there who can say with 100% certainty that their students are just as fine at home as they would be at school.


You have to love the zealousness of teachers across the nation right now. Admire it. Be inspired by it! Governors across the country said, “We are going to close the CONTINUE READING: A Teacher in South Dakota: I Will Not Send Home Any Packets | Diane Ravitch's blog