Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 31, 2020

On Showing Up As Our (In)Authentic Selves | The Jose Vilson

On Showing Up As Our (In)Authentic Selves | The Jose Vilson

ON SHOWING UP AS OUR (IN)AUTHENTIC SELVES


This weekend, I had the pleasure of attending my sixth straight EduCon conference in Philadelphia, PA, a gathering that usually lands on or around my birthday. Unlike previous years, I decided to come on my own at the behest of folks I consider friends like Chris Lehmann, Diana Laufenberg, and the good folks at the Science Leadership Academy. For those unaware, Philadelphia public schools have been in turmoil as exemplified by asbestos discoveries in several schools across the system. So you can imagine the energy as I walked into EduCon – a conference normally hosted at SLA school – hosted at the Philadelphia School District offices. The Friday panel was on authenticity.
I’m glad I made it. I’m sure they’re glad it happened, too.
The panelists and moderator had a spirited and insightful conversation about schools, students, and what it means to show up as one’s fullest self. At one point, the moderator turned to the panelists and asked them if they had questions of each other. Crystal Cubbage of the Philadelphia Learning Collaborative turned to her co-panelists and asked: “What is your greatest challenge to being your authentic self?” The question pushed my attention away from the panel for a bit. It’s a question that seemed ripe for reflection after a year that felt like a decade.
If I’m truthful, I’ve only given 70-80% max to anyone outside of my immediate family since August. I’m still shaking off the absurdities of school years past. I’m still drawing hard boundaries for people CONTINUE READING: On Showing Up As Our (In)Authentic Selves | The Jose Vilson