Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

It's Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... A VERY BUSY DAY | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

It's Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... A VERY BUSY DAY | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Diwali Takes Place Later This Month – Here Are Related Teaching & Learning Resources
bhuwanpurohit / Pixabay Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights, will start on October 25 this year. It concludes on October 29th. You might be interested in The Best Sites For Learning About Diwali.

YESTERDAY

New Animated Video: “NASA’s Guide To Black Hole Safety”
FelixMittermeier / Pixabay Check out this neat new video from NASA:
Infographic: “U.S. Slashes Refugee Limit To Historic Low”
GDJ / Pixabay I’ve previously shared about Trump Administration policies on refugees (see Trump Administration Cuts Refugee Number To Lowest Level Ever ). This infographic, though, makes it much more clear than any text article. I’m adding it to I’m adding this info to The Best Sites For Learning About World Refugee Day . You will find more infographics at Statista
ReadWorks FINALLY Lets Students Choose What Texts They Want To Read!
ReadWorks is one of the best educational sites out there – I’ve been posting constantly about it for years , and it’s on several “Best” lists. It has zillions of texts, audio support for many of them, annotation tools, and lots more. It’a always had one major drawback, however: in order for students to read their texts, teachers have had to “assign” them – they’ve never had the ability for studen
“Classroom Management ‘Is All About Relationships'”
Classroom Management ‘Is All About Relationships’ is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. In it, Dr. Debbie Silver, Dr. PJ Caposey, Serena Pariser, Timothy Hilton, Dr. Beth Gotcher, Paula Mellom, Rebecca Hixon, and Jodi Weber offer their commentaries on how best to handle classroom management. Here are some excerpts:
My Latest BAM! Radio Show Is On Student Engagement
The Look, Sound and Feel of Effective Student Engagement is the topic of my latest ten minute BAM! Radio Show. I’m joined in the conversation by Cathy Beck, Kathy Dyer, Sarah Said and Samantha Cortez, who have also all contributed written commentaries to my Education Week Teacher column. I’m adding this show to All My BAM Radio Shows – Linked With Descriptions .
What Impact Will Trump Administration Policies Have On Future ELL Numbers? Here Is My Guess, & I Would Love To Hear Yours
OpenClipart-Vectors / Pixabay The number of English Language Learners in U.S. public schools has been growing steadily over the years (see The Best Ways To Keep-Up With Current ELL/ESL/EFL News & Research ). Those numbers have been expected to grow. Some statistics have said that by 2025, 25% of U.S. public school students will be ELLs, others say 40% by 2030 . Of course, none of these projection

SEP 29

Excellent – & Short – Overview Of Culturally Responsive Teaching’s Benefits
Jenny Muñiz has written a good – and short – piece over at New America reviewing the benefits of culturally responsive teaching. 5 Ways Culturally Responsive Teaching Benefits Learners contains lots of links to research, and is the perfect piece to share with administrators and colleagues who have questions about it and are open to learning. I’m adding it to The Best Resources About “Culturally R
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 19,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in My Seven Most Popular Pins In 2018
The Best Sites Where Students Can Participate In Citizen Science Projects
markmags / Pixabay Plenty of research has found that students tend to become more motivated when their work will be seen by other people in addition to the teacher (see Best Places Where Students Can Write For An “Authentic Audience “). I’ve previously written about these kinds of opportunities for Social Studies students (see The Best Sites Where Students Can Transcribe Historical Texts ). I’ve
New Resources On Race & Racism
I’m adding these new resources to various “Best” lists. You can find links to all of those many lists that relate to race and racism at “Best” Lists Of The Week: Resources For Teaching & Learning About Race & Racism: ‘It Was Very Humiliating’: Readers Share How They Were Taught About Slavery is from The NY Times. I’m adding it to USEFUL RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT THE 400TH ANNIVERSARY OF BRINGI
My Most Popular Tweets Of The Month
PhotoMIX-Company / Pixabay I used to post weekly collections of my best tweets, and used Storify to bring them together. Unfortunately, Storify went under. Fortunately, however, Wakelet was a new tool that was able to import all 
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007