Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

A Letter to Chicago’s Teachers On the Perils of Pay for Success Finance & Wrap Around Services – Wrench in the Gears

A Letter to Chicago’s Teachers On the Perils of Pay for Success Finance & Wrap Around Services – Wrench in the Gears

A Letter to Chicago’s Teachers On the Perils of Pay for Success Finance & Wrap Around Services


I am writing this letter to the teachers of Chicago as you continue your strike.
I realize you probably won’t have time to read this until after your contract is resolved, but I felt it was important to put my thoughts down now while they are fresh in my mind.
I know you care deeply for your students, colleagues, and the communities you serve.
As the parent of a Philadelphia public school graduate, I know conditions for teaching and learning in under-funded urban districts are deplorable, and that is by design.
I commend the networks you have built to make your vision for well-resourced public schools a reality.
I appreciate the sacrifices you have made to bargain for “the common good.”
I am heartened to hear that you’ve already secured agreements to limit pre-k class sizes, ensure adequate staffing, and safe facilities, as well as guaranteeing the basic human right of toddlers to nap for an hour each day. Bravo.
In reading this contract briefing from July I sense your frustration with CPS’s cost cutting around staffing, especially with regard to the attempted CONTINUE READING: A Letter to Chicago’s Teachers On the Perils of Pay for Success Finance & Wrap Around Services – Wrench in the Gears