Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 6, 2019

A Very Busy Day Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

A Very Busy Day Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007





“Q&A Collections: The Inclusive Classroom”

Q&A Collections: The Inclusive Classroom is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. All Classroom Q&A posts offering advice on The Inclusive Classroom (from the past eight years!) are described and linked to in this compilation post. Here’s an excerpt from one of them:
Video: “The Life Of An Unaccompanied Minor In L.A.”

OpenClipart-Vectors / Pixabay Lauren Skeen shared this three-year-old L.A. Times video on Leading ELLs Facebook Group:

YESTERDAY

Do’s & Don’ts Of Working With An Aide In An ELL Classroom – Please Add Your Own Suggestions

geralt / Pixabay We’re getting a new bilingual aide at our school sometime in the next week or two, and I thought I write up some “dos and don’ts” for my colleagues who are newer at teaching ELLs and at working with aides. I also thought it would be a good opportunity for me to reflect on my own experience, especially considering that I consider the biggest mistake I have made (so far) in my teac
World War II Began Eighty Years Ago This Week – Here Are Related Teaching & Learning Resources

skeeze / Pixabay Germany invaded Poland eighty years ago. You might be interested in: The Best Online Resources For Teaching & Learning About World War II (Part One) The Best Online Resources For Teaching & Learning About World War II (Part Two) The Best Resources On Japanese-American Internment In World War II The Best Sites For Learning About The Holocaust The Best Sites For Learning About The
Pins Of The Week

I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 19,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in My Seven Most Popular Pins In 2018
New Study Shows Active Learning More Effective Than Lectures – DUH!

There is no shortage of research finding that active learning is more effective than lectures (see The Best Research Demonstrating That Lectures Are Not The Best Instructional Strategy ). However, I was surprised to read in a report on a new study that many students, however, think they learn more from lectures. That same report, fortunately, debunks that belief. Perhaps it can soon go the way of
“How Do You Respond to a Teacher Who Says, ‘I Don’t See Color’?”

How Do You Respond to a Teacher Who Says, ‘I Don’t See Color’? is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. The new question-of-the-week is: What are the best ways to respond to educators who say they “don’t see color” when they teach? Guest-host Shannon R. Waite introduces the upcoming series. Feel free to leave responses in the comments there or here….


This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues

Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in THE BEST ARTICLES, VIDEOS & POSTS ON EDUCATION POLICY IN 2019 – PART ONE ): Big news about charters here in California: Charter school compromise could intensify L.A.’s school board 
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007