Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 9, 2019

With A Brooklyn Accent: What It's Like to Be Latina At This Awful Moment in US History

With A Brooklyn Accent: What It's Like to Be Latina At This Awful Moment in US History

What It's Like to Be Latina At This Awful Moment in US History

I am an 'American of Spanish descent'. That's what my mom and dad taught us to say whenever asked. Spanish is my first language, and I was trained to not speak English with an accent. My mom was fair skinned, my dad was dark, but neither looked 'ethnic'- My dad's high school nickname was Spic. It's in his yearbook from 1948. I have been told that I 'Pass for white', so I am safe. IN NEW YORK.  I still speak Spanish but my current neighborhood are predominantly white republicans. The only other Hispanics are laborers, and we do converse but always in hushed tones when white people are around. 


I have lived in the United States my entire life. I have never been afraid to be me, to speak my language, to go out and socialize- yet this past CONTINUE READING: With A Brooklyn Accent: What It's Like to Be Latina At This Awful Moment in US History

 NARA- National Anti-Racism Alliance - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1179251115613552/