Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

I was a teacher unionist. I bargained many contracts. The contract never defined me. – Fred Klonsky

I was a teacher unionist. I bargained many contracts. The contract never defined me. – Fred Klonsky

I WAS A TEACHER UNIONIST. I BARGAINED MANY CONTRACTS. THE CONTRACT NEVER DEFINED ME.


Until the day I retired from teaching I was a teacher unionist.
I still support every fight for the right to collectively bargain.
Who wasn’t inspired by the Red State Teacher Strikes?
When teachers anywhere go on strike I try to report on it here.
I can’t count the number of teacher strikes around the state of Illinois where I have walked picket lines and got other retirees to do the same.
In fact, in 2012 I stood before 10,000 members of the National Education Association at their Representative Assembly and won unanimous approval on a vote to support the CTU in their fight with Rahm’s school board.
The CTU is an American Federation of Teachers affiliate. Not an NEA affiliate. And there is some history of bad blood between them.
So that’s solid solidarity.
I don’t need to know the contract offers of the union side. Most bargaining is done CONTINUE READING: I was a teacher unionist. I bargained many contracts. The contract never defined me. – Fred Klonsky