Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Keeping retirement weird. Schadenfreude. | Fred Klonsky

Keeping retirement weird. Schadenfreude. | Fred Klonsky:

Keeping retirement weird. Schadenfreude.





God works in mysterious ways, I hear.
In spite of right-wing evangelist Pat Robertson’s declaring that he thought God was Speaker of the House, it turned out it was Paul Ryan.
I posted the word Schadenfruede on Facebook last week as it became clear the the Trumpists were on the verge of crashing and burning over repeal and replace.
It is a German word meaning deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others.
Reading that, some friends thought I was referring to the way Republicans in Congress and holding office elsewhere seem to get pleasure from the pain and suffering of working class and poor folks.
I was referring to the pleasure I was feeling watching TrumpRyan fumble, flail and fail.
There is another German word I know and like. Gemütlichkeit means having good cheer.
I’m feeling that at the moment too.
Health care in America is another one of those choice things.
The rich and wealthy get to choose. And so do we. They get the right to choose the kind of health care they can afford. So do we.
As a retired public school teacher my health care costs are manageable but in spite of Keeping retirement weird. Schadenfreude. | Fred Klonsky: