Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 24, 2016

On Thanksgiving 2016, Let’s Enjoy Some Music. | deutsch29

On Thanksgiving 2016, Let’s Enjoy Some Music. | deutsch29:

On Thanksgiving 2016, Let’s Enjoy Some Music

A Happy Thanksgiving to all of my readers.
snoopy-thanksgiving
“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”–G.K. Chesterton




On this Thanksgiving, I would like to share some of my favorite music with my readers. When I was a preteen, I used to enjoy listening to records, sometimes by myself, and sometimes with a friend around the corner, Jerry Ducote. We would listen, talk, and eat cookie dough. (It never occurred to me to eat cookie dough until Jerry introduced the idea to me one day while listening to records.)
So many years later, I forego the cookie dough and listen via Youtube on my laptop.
One of my all-time favorite recordings is the Lennon Sisters signing the 1965 Toys hit, “Lover’s Concerto.”
Their voices blend so well that I understand why Lawrence Welk was immediately interested in them when his son brought the sisters home to sing for his father.


Of course, I had to listen again while writing this post.
The next song is french conductor Paul Mauriat’s 1968 instrumental remake of Andre Popp’s “Love Is Blue”:


Another favorite instrumental is bandleader Percy Faith’s 1960 hit, “Theme from a Summer Place”:


These instrumentals remind me of my Aunt Louise’s house, which she and my Uncle Gus built in 1977 in Kenner, Louisiana, and which had a central stereo system. (Cutting edge technology: The house also had central vacuuming.) My aunt would often play easy listening during the day while working or reading.
I think one of the best voices of all time belonged to the British singer, Dusty Springfield. Of all of her songs, her 1966 English remake of an Italian love song, “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me,” is my favorite, both for the song and for how the song showcases Springfield’s vocal talent:


I own the complete collection of Springfield’s recordings; the liner notes describe how tired she was at having to do so many takes of the song when she recorded it.
One more.
Let’s end where we began, so to speak, with “Lover’s Concerto”– this time with the original 1965 hit by New York female trio, the Toys:


And there I shall leave it.
 On Thanksgiving 2016, Let’s Enjoy Some Music. | deutsch29: