Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 8, 2016

The First Parent-Teacher Conference of One | The Jose Vilson

The First Parent-Teacher Conference of One | The Jose Vilson:

The First Parent-Teacher Conference of One

Image result for The First Parent-Teacher Conference of One
I’m not supposed to be nervous about the first day.
A couple of weeks ago, I told six hundred or so adults in Oak Park, IL that the first day doesn’t matter. I said it was the second day and beyond that ultimately determine a teacher’s effectiveness. But this first day is different. It’s not just my 12th First Day of class as a teacher. It’s my first as a parent. Alejandro’s going to Pre-kindergarten, and I don’t know what to do with myself. I’ve been sipping teas and scrolling through inordinate amounts of inspirational posters, distracting myself from feeling every knot I have tied in my stomach.
Those of you who read my book know that I hurled my first First Day of school in pre-k, and I still can’t live down the imagery. I had so many high hopes for coolness. I still hold high hopes today that I’ll be one of the cool kids. Until then, I’d love for Alejandro to have a much better head start.
Because we made the choice we did for our child, we also recognized the challenges that come with said decision. Even though Mayor Bill de Blasio touts accomplished educators and well-structured Pre-K programs, allow me a bit of time to doubt because, even with the plethora of structures, there The First Parent-Teacher Conference of One | The Jose Vilson: