Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Presidential Choice; School Choice; Forced Choice. | deutsch29

Presidential Choice; School Choice; Forced Choice. | deutsch29:

Presidential Choice; School Choice; Forced Choice.


America’s choice for our next president illustrates a truth about school choice and choice systems in general:
Choice is often little more than talking oneself into going with the perceived better among selections that one does not want at all.
Clinton and Trump. I endorse neither for president. But I will vote, and I will do so by deciding which one I like less and casting a ballot for the other while actively preventing my mind from focusing on how much I also dislike my “choice.”
I wonder about the outcome of a national poll in which voters are asked, “If you had to vote today for America’s next president and “neither” were a viable option, would you choose Clinton, Trump, or neither?”
I would be in the “neither” category. But when it comes to electing a president or choosing a school, “choice” actually means “forced choice.”
I also wonder how America would react if we changed voting to include a lottery component (a feature of school choice in many locales). I envision this as similar to a lottery scratch-off ticket, where one decides to not vote Clinton or Trump and instead settles for an unknown who is not Clinton or Trump, but with the unknown coming from a set of possible knowns, with anyone who wanted to be included as a “scratch-off” candidate allowed to sign up by a certain deadline. In this scenario, the person casting a “scratch-off” vote discovers after the vote how his/her particular vote was cast.
Perhaps Republican National Party would be more inclined to support a “scratch-off” feature in the 2016 presidential election since it is aghast at the likes of Donald Trump being their official nominee. Since the Democratic National Party appears to Presidential Choice; School Choice; Forced Choice. | deutsch29: