Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 2, 2016

The New Gold | Save Maine Schools

The New Gold | Save Maine Schools:

The New Gold

Screen shot 2016-01-02 at 4.52.05 PM.png
Only a short time ago, I thought my husband was being paranoid when he asked me if I’d read the security agreement for an app I was about to download.
“Does it tell you how it will use your data?” he asked.
I shrugged and told him to relax. What could they possible find out about me that would be of concern?
A year or so later, I still have a tendency to give out personal information with far too much haste, but – for the most part, at least – I no longer think my husband is paranoid when it comes to concerns over data collection.
 (You’re welcome, dear.)
The fact is, big data = BIG money  – this article even goes so far as to call it “the new gold”– and where opportunities for profit exist, boundaries will be pushed as far as possible.
We are in uncharted territory, and – inconvenient though it may be – we need to be on our toes with this, lest we end up traveling down The New Gold | Save Maine Schools: