Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving 2015, Y’all. | deutsch29

Happy Thanksgiving 2015, Y’all. | deutsch29:

Happy Thanksgiving 2015, Y’all.

turkey


A cheerful disposition is good for your health; gloom and doom leave you bone-tired.
–Proverbs 17:22 (MSG)
On December 06, 2015, my mother turns 70. I am thankful to have her alive and well for these past ten years. She was missing for a week in 2005 during Hurricane Katrina, and I thank God often that she did not die.
So much about my mother makes me smile. Months ago, I spoke with my sisters about what we might do for my mother’s 70th birthday. However, I already knew that a party, or trip, or expensive jewelry were not what she would prefer.
My mother prefers shopping. So, earlier this week, I took her shopping for her birthday at perhaps her favorite store.
Home Depot.
She enjoyed herself. I know so because I watched her enthusiastically walk the aisles and examine the endless tools and materials.
And who else’s mother sighs contentedly at the scent of fresh cut lumber?
You got me on that one.
In the end, I bought my mother a mitre saw, a hammer, and two bolt cutters. (The large bolt cutter was a must-have, but one never knows when one might need to cut smaller bolts, as well. Thus, it is best to be prepared.) Add to that list a gift card for a future paint purchase.
Happy birthday, Mama.
So, there’s one story of thanks.
I’ll go for a second one:
I had two primary goals this past summer. One was to write the body of my third book, this one on school choice. I am happy to say that it is with the publisher.
My second goal was to lose some weight. I am an active person, but I also like to eat, and the eating was in the lead.
Around July 4th, I realized that summer was almost over for me and I hadn’t focused on the weight loss. No problem. I still had three weeks to get started.
What sealed the deal for me was that I did not feel like clothes shopping for the upcoming school year. I reminded myself that if I lost weight, I could shop in my own closet.
Hook baited.
Over the next three months, I dropped 20 pounds, and I continue to enjoy surprising myself as I indeed continue to shop in my own closet. So, there is notably less of me now, and for this, I am thankful.
Happy Thanksgiving, all.