Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

4-1-13 Curmudgucation

CURMUDGUCATION:







Open Ended and Close Minded

We build cages for students to protect ourselves.Too many teachers (and others) are way too afraid of open-ended exploration for any number of reasons. Perhaps most commonly, the problem is not knowing the territory.If I want to allow my students true open-ended exploration of a novel, ten I have to know the territory. It's a big sprawling place, like a great forest, and if I'm going to let my stu
3-31-13 Curmudgucation
CURMUDGUCATION: More Marketing By PollWant to see how pollsters can keep finding widespread support for the Common Core? Today we've got a perfect example to look at. I am not a statistics or polling guy. I cannot, with any shred of authority, discuss n-curves and sampling error and any of those fancy statsy stuff. But I am a language guy, and I know when language is being used to game a system. A