Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

1-14-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:




This Week’s Round-Up Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some recent useful posts on education policy issues: Garbage In, Garbage Out: Or, How to Lie with Bad Data is from Medium. I’m adding it to The Best Resources Showing Why We Need To Be “Data-Informed” & Not “Data-Driven.” Fight over school funding starts Thursday is from The San Francisco Chronicle, and gives an excellent overview of California ed policy issues. On Listing Education
Quote Of The Day: “John Wooden: An English Teacher Who Happened To Be A Hoops Legend”
John Wooden: An English Teacher Who Happened To Be A Hoops Legend is a great interview with a biographer of John Wooden. Here’s an excerpt:
Video On Cesar Chavez
This is a good, short video on Cesar Chavez. It won’t be controversial in states like our which already have an official Cesar Chavez holiday. However, at its end, it does push for President Obama to declare March 31 as the Cesar Chavez National Day of Service, so teachers should use their judgement on whether to use it in class. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About Cesar Chavez.
TED Talks Unveils TED-Ed Clubs For Students
TED Talks has just unveiled a new program called TED-Ed Clubs. I’ve embedded a video below about it but, basically, it’s designed to encourage young people to create their own versions of a TED Talk through starting a school club. Helping students develop better speaking skills is great but, I don’t know about you, but I get tired just thinking of helping start and teach an after-school TED-Ed Cl
Parent Engagement Is The Topic Of My Newest Ten Minute Podcast
How Do We Increase Involvement Among Parents Who Are Already Overwhelmed? is the title of my newest ten minute BAM! Radio podcast. I talk with Mai Xi Lee and Darcy Hutchins about the topic, and I’ll be publishing their written responses on Sunday at my Education Week Teacher blog.
Here’s What My IB Theory Of Knowledge Students Are Doing For Their Semester “Final”
I’ve previously posted what my ELL Geography students and what my ELL History students (as well as my mainstream ninth-grade classes) are doing for their semester finals next week. I’ve also published what my ELL students are doing for their English “final.” I thought some readers might also be interested in what my IB Theory of Knowledge students are doing for theirs, too. I’ve picked what I thi

Several Useful New Resources On Encouraging Intrinsic Motivation
Here are several new additions to The Best Posts & Articles On “Motivating” Students: What does neuroscience research say about motivation and the brain? is by Judy Willis. PISA 2012 Results in Focus: What 15-year-olds know and what they can do with what they know includes some very useful information, including this: Better teacher-student relations are strongly associated w greater student

YESTERDAY

A Couple Of Good Articles On Deliberate Practice
Here are two recent good articles on Deliberate Practice that are useful if you’re using the deliberate practice lesson found in one of my books, or if you just want to learn more about it: Perfect Practice Makes Perfect by Daniel Goleman might be the best short and accessible article on the concept that I’ve found. I’m definitely using it with my students. WHY “DELIBERATE PRACTICE” IS THE ONLY W
1-13-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: My Latest NY Times Post: Learning Prepositions & Using Badly Translated Signs For Language LearningMy latest New York Times post for English Language Learners is on prepositions AND language-learning with badly translated signs. It includes a student interactive and teaching ideas. You might also be interested in The Be