Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Shanker Blog » Being Kevin Huffman

Shanker Blog » Being Kevin Huffman:

Being Kevin Huffman

Posted by  on December 11, 2013


In a post earlier this week, I noted how several state and local education leaders, advocates and especially the editorial boards of major newspapers used the results of the recently-released NAEP results inappropriately – i.e., to argue that recent reforms in states such as Tennessee and D.C. are “working.” I also discussed how this illustrates a larger phenomenon in which many people seem to expect education policies to generate immediate, measurable results in terms of aggregate student test scores, which I argued is both unrealistic and dangerous.
Mike G. from Boston, a friend whose comments I always appreciate, agrees with me, but asks a question that I think gets to the pragmatic heart of the matter. He wonders whether individuals in high-level education positions have any alternative. For instance, Mike asks, what would I suggest to Kevin Huffman, who is the head of Tennessee’s education department? Insofar as Huffman’s opponents “would use any data…to bash him if it’s trending down,” would I advise him to forego using the data in his favor when they show improvement?*
I have never held any important high-level leadership positions. My political experience and skills are (and I’m being charitable here) underdeveloped, and I have no doubt many more seasoned folks in education would disagree with me. But my answer is: Yes, I would advise him to forego using the data in this manner. Here’s why.
It is, I admit, tempting to justify my advice in a self-righteous manner – that is, to say that using NAEP data in this manner is wrong when Mr. Huffman’s opponents do it, and so it would be wrong for him to do it. But I am not quite so naïve as to believe that one can separate politics from policy, and I realize that people in positions of