Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Florida’s New Teacher Evaluation System Proving Itself A Huge Failure – All at the Cost of our Kids #ChaChing | Continuing Change

Florida’s New Teacher Evaluation System Proving Itself A Huge Failure – All at the Cost of our Kids #ChaChing | Continuing Change:




Florida’s New Teacher Evaluation System Proving Itself A Huge Failure – All at the Cost of our Kids #ChaChing
From Matt Reid, Editor of Florida Today: Somehow, 98 percent of teacher evaluations suggest we accomplished that, even though school grades dropped statewide. High school students’ scores in math, reading and science on an international exam were “not measurably different” from Florida’s results in 2006 and 2009, according to the Program for International Student Assessment. That’s not to say our
Sen. Anitere Fl…
Sen. Anitere Flores (R-Miami) never met a piece of legislation that benefited the for-profit charter school industry she didn’t like. Just pay no attention to the little matter that she works for one. Best ‘Snarky But True’ Quote of the Day … via @BobSikes , FL teacher and blogger. Read more HERE. “Flores, a Miami lawmaker, said she hadn’t yet read the audit and couldn’t comment on the $400,000 g
VIDEO: Why Merit Pay Doesn’t Work – 6 Reasons in 3 Minutes – Value Added Measures Fail
Here is a quick, easy way to understand why using kid’s tests scores to evaluate teachers does not work. #HugeFail


Welcome back, Coach – FL teacher and writer, Bob Sikes, has returned to the Blogosphere !!! #ColorMeHappy @bobsikes
GOOD news !!!! Florida teacher and education blogger, Bob Sikes of Scathing Purple Musings has returned from a short hiatus. He writes in today’s blog, “My, oh, my, we’ve come quite a ways haven’t we? And pushback is increasing. State school board members and superintendents have joined the effort.” If you don’t follow Bob … you should !! You can also find him on Twitter here: https://twitter.

YESTERDAY

VAM made me do it – Florida’s teacher evaluation system #ForgiveMe @dianeravitch
I am thinking of ranking my pets by VAM scores.   I figure I will judge my dog based on the amount of cat litter I find on the floor and I will judge my cat by the amount of dog hair I find on the couch. To be fair, I will factor in variables like the number of frogs I find on our truck in a week and the depth of the hole the rodent in my backyard is digging.   Of course, I am not telling my ani