Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 10, 2013

11-10-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





Having English Language Learners Use Cellphones To Identify High-Interest Vocabulary
Taking an idea I learned from Heather Barikmo at a New York Times Learning Network post, I’ve begun asking my Beginning English Language Learners to take photos with their phones of signs and/or words they see outside of school but don’t know what they mean. We’re just beginning, and I’m planning on asking each of them to take three photo each, and then text them to me. Here’s the first batch. I’

Interactive Quiz — Are You A Good Language Learner
Readers of our book, The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide, know that there’s a lesson plan in it helping students learn the qualities of a successful language learner and that they do a self-assessment as part of it. Part of that lesson includes use of The Best Videos Illustrating Qualities Of A Successful Language Learner. Now, Marisa Constantinides has created a quiz called Are You A Good Langu
A Post That’s A Little Different From Most — Accessible Franz Kafka Resources
Much to my surprise, two students in my ninth-grade English class have decided they want to read Franz Kafka’s “The Trial” as part of an independent book discussion group (a copy was in a few bags of free books I distributed from The Friends of the Davis Library, who are very generous in helping students create their own personal libraries). They read the first chapter together outside during our

Highlights Of A Reddit Chat With Angela Duckworth & Roland Fryer
Reddit hosted a chat this week with MacArthur genius awardees Angela Duckworth & Roland Fryer. As regular readers of this blog know, I’m no fan of Fryer’s work, and nothing he said in the chat made me elevate that opinion. Angela Duckworth, though, is a different story, and I’ve been very impressed with her research on grit (see The Best Resources For Learning About The Importance Of “Grit”).

Quote Of The Day: “How I Helped Teachers Cheat”
How I Helped Teachers Cheat is a bit of a strange column in The New York Times today. But I do really like this line:

Research Studies Of The Week
I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature: Thinking of quitti

Updated Resources On Typhoon Haiyan
Here are new additions to The Best Resources For Learning About Typhoon Haiyan: Philippine super typhoon kills at least 10,000, official says is from Reuters. Death toll likely to exceed 1,000 after typhoon slams Philippines is from CNN. Philippine Death Toll Feared In Thousands is from The New York Times.
This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” — November
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful
November’s Infographics & Interactives Galore — Part Two
There are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics and by searching “infographics” on this blog. I’ll still be publishing separate posts to individually highlight especially useful infographics and interactives, but you
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: CLEAR at Michigan State University has just unveiled a great collection of language-teaching videos. You can read more about it here. I’m adding it to The Best Online Videos Showing ESL/EFL Teachers In The Classroom. Here a
Bullying In The NFL and in Schools
Here are some new additions to A Very, Very Beginning List Of The Best Resources On Bullying: Raiders Quarterback Applauds Bullied Dolphins Player For ‘Standing Up And Being A Man’ is from ThinkProgress. The Stanford Prison And Why The Miami Dolphins Weren’t Just “Boys Being Boys” is from Forbes.

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 11-9-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAYNo, L.A. School Reformers, Grit Does Not Equal Giving Students Rewards & Being Data-DrivenAnyone who has read my blog or my books knows that I’m a big supporter of Social Emotional Learning, including helping students develop “grit” (see The Best Resources For Learning About The Importa