Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 29, 2013

9-29-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:

Ferlazzo200(1)






This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” – September
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful

New Kindle Edition Of “Helping Students Motivate Themselves” Is Available
I’m happy to say that a new Kindle edition of my book, Helping Students Motivate Themselves, is now available and you can find it here. The original Kindle edition of the book was pulled a couple of of months ago after Routledge bought its original publisher, Eye On Education. They made revisions to all the EOE books, and now, as of today, it’s back! The new Kindle edition of Self-Driven Learning

Using Vine/Instagram In The Classroom
I do a lot of videotaping in my classes, primarily in IB Theory of Knowledge and in my ELL ones, and have been thinking about experimenting with Vine or Instragram’s stop motion clips. Though I posted The Best Resources For Learning To Use The Video App “Vine,” I haven’t used it much other than to try it out with videos of my pets . A new post by Amy Erin Borovoy over at Edutopia, however, has f

More Videos On Brazil
Here are new additions to The Best Sites For Learning About Brazil: The BBC has a collection of Brazil videos.
Great Graphic: “The Ed Tech Troubleshooter”
Here’s another great ed tech graphic from Bill Ferriter. I’m adding it to The Best Advice On Using Education Technology: . @MrBrettClark and I whipped up an #edtech troubleshooter for y'all. Hope you enjoy it. pic.twitter.com/eUhbrlEfGQ — Bill Ferriter (@plugusin) September 29, 2013


This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth sharing, I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” It’ll be a short compilation of new decent sites that are worth noting, but maybe not necessarily worth a separate post and generally — though not always — not worthy of being on a “The Best…” list (let me know if you think I’m wrong in my assess

“Developing Student Writers By Letting Them Talk…”
Developing Student Writers By Letting Them Talk… is my new post over at Education Week Teacher. It’s the first post in a three-part series focusing on teaching writing in the context of the Common Core Standards. Today’s commentaries come from educators Mary Tedrow, Ray Salazar and Tanya Baker.
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: PARCC’s Common Math Tests to Be Translated Into Spanish is from Education Week. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The “Next Generation” Of State Testing. Getting to Know Your ELLs: Six Steps for Succes
Useful Resources On Copyright
Here are new additions to The Best Resources To Learn About Copyright Issues: So… You Want (Have) To Create Something? is from Langwitches. So…You Want to Declare Fair Use is also from Langwitches. by floydworx. Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 9-28-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAYRepublican Strategy On Debt Ceiling Is Ridiculous Strategy, But Provides Perfect Classroom Lesson On “Compromise”I learned about the importance of compromise in my nineteen year community organizing career prior to becoming a teacher, and I’ve shared a fair amount about it at The Best Posts