Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 19, 2013

Teachers Learn by Doing, Too | InterACT

Teachers Learn by Doing, Too | InterACT:

Teachers Learn by Doing, Too

AUGUST 19, 2013
Today’s ACT guest blog post was written by Jane Ching Fung, an ACT member and teacher from Los Angeles.  Jane is a Milken Award winning teacher and has served in various leadership capacities for organizations such as NCTAF, CFTL, and PBS.  She is a member of the Teacher Leaders Network, and her writing has also appeared in Education Week Teacher.
Jane Fung, center, teaches first grade English Language Learners in Los Angeles.
Jane Fung, center, teaches first grade English Language Learners in Los Angeles.
I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
– Confucius
Want teachers to effectively implement and teach Next Generation Science Standards? Offer engaging and meaningful professional development.
It’s the last weeks before school starts. I could be working in my classroom and getting a head start on lesson planning. I could be lounging at the beach or enjoying my last week of freedom. I could be, but instead I jumped at the chance to join colleagues to learn more about the upcoming Next Generation Science Standards. I say upcoming because California has not yet “officially” adopted them, but we will, so why wait?
I wanted to know and learn more about STEM education and how to implement it in a