Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 1, 2013

UPDATE: School Board Retreat + Definitions Seattle Schools Community Forum: Teens and Drunk Driving

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Teens and Drunk Driving - It's Prom and Graduation Season:


School Board Retreat

The Schools Board met in retreat with the senior staff today to discuss, primarily, the Strategic Plan. While I could easily list a couple dozen quibbles (I could, don't challenge me on this), the meeting was, for the greatest part actually productive and useful. They did some tangible work, but they also did some very important intangible work today. The group went a long way towards coming together as a team. That's critical if this plan is going to be successful.

In the morning and early afternoon they spoke about the Strategic Plan. It isn't bad, it has some focus, and the staff appears sincerely committed to performing an effective implementation. That's all you can hope for.

From the mid-afternoon on, the talk was about working together. It was more candid than I expected. Respectful, 

Definitions

At today's School Board Retreat a sheet with definitions was part of the packet. Some of the definitions may surprise you.


Academic Assurances provide students with equitable access to services, including general education, special education, English language learners, and state-defined highly capable education.
This is interesting because now you are only assured of what the law mandates. We used to have 

Teens and Drunk Driving - It's Prom and Graduation Season



This very sad video was made by the Issaquah Police Department and Eastside Fire and Rescue and was performed at Issaquah High School.

Watch it.  Show your teen.  Don't shrug and say "Kids will be kids" or "I trust my kid."

When my mother would express concern for me when I was a teen driver, I would tell her I was a good driver.  (I also did not ever drink in high school.)  She would look at me and say, "It's not your driving I'm worried about - it's the other guy's."

This video uses that concern to very good effect.