Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Jersey Jazzman: An Exchange With Jonah Rockoff

Jersey Jazzman: An Exchange With Jonah Rockoff:

An Exchange With Jonah Rockoff

This is a long post, but I think it's valuable. Let me set it up a bit:

Earlier this month, I was given a remarkable piece of audio: testimony by Jonah Rockoff, professor of finance and economics at Columbia University, before the New Jersey State Board of Education. Rockoff's subject was the use of test score data in teacher evaluation, which is obviously a subject near and dear to my heart. I've reposted the audio below if you care to listen.

After I posted the audio, I wrote a series of posts on Dr. Rockoff's presentation: herehere and hereBruce Bakerat Rutgers also weighed in: I'd suggest Bruce's post stands as a comprehensive counterargument to the wholesale embrace of test-based teacher evaluation.

My posts, on the other hand, are a bit more parochial. Here in New Jersey, as in so many other states, our