Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 14, 2013

Daily Kos: excuse my random thoughts on a Friday evening

Daily Kos: excuse my random thoughts on a Friday evening:

excuse my random thoughts on a Friday evening

Today Leaves on the Current and I traveled to Jefferson County WV where we attended the spring version of the Mountain Heritage Arts and Crafts Fair.  We have been going now for 30 years, at least once a year.  Some of the craftspeople we most admire no longer come to this fair, but there are others we see regularly -  painter Jefferson Stokes, and scrimshaw and jewelry artist Cathy Guss.  We own multiple pieces by both, we always stop and chat, and almost always buy something.
Each year we encounter new artists whose work impresses us, and entices us to purchase things.
Which got me thinking about craftsmanship and what it means.
Perhaps it is because I am the grandson of a tailor, because my father, his son, taught me to look for quality craftsmanship.
I suspect as I offer this series of thoughts, still developing, it will also connect with teaching.