Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

UPDATE: Morrison’s bullsh*t pension proposal. + The in box. “Teachers are tired of losing.” | Fred Klonsky

The in box. “Teachers are tired of losing.” | Fred Klonsky:


Tony at the Red Line Tap.

tonyattheredline
“Hey, Klonsky. What can I get you?” said Marty.
“I have a taste for a Tokyo Black.”
“I’m on it,” replied my favorite bar tender.
“You’re looking unusually happy this evening,” offered Tony, who appeared not-at-all interested in the Bulls and Nets game that was flickering on the Red Line’s flat screen.
“Just got word that I was elected in a state-wide vote of union retirees to be a delegate to the union’s national 


Illinois Representative Tom Morrison’s bullsh*t pension proposal.

Unknown
There is a dilemma I face when dealing with those like Republican Illinois House Representative Tom Morrison and his pension proposal.
Morrison is calling his idea to shift our defined benefit system to a defined contribution 401k plan a “sustainable pension plan.”
Sustainable for Wall Street for sure.
For us? Not so much.
The dilemma part comes in because Morrison’s idea doesn’t have legs at the moment. Republicans like 


The in box. “Teachers are tired of losing.”

Cinda and the IEA Team
First off–thank you for representing us at the Daily Herald/Reboot IL pension forum.
The rumors that IEA is negotiating with Cullerton has teachers scared.  I am an active teacher in the 3rd largest district in the state and I can tell you that teachers do not seem happy that their constitutionally protected pensions are rumored to be potentially bargained away at the table.  The purpose of this email is simply to share with you the feedback I have been receiving.  Although I have no idea who the five people are who responded on the IEA website (mentioned below), their words, feelings, and position are exactly what I have been receiving.
Teacher are tired of losing.  With the passing of PERA and SB7, teachers are feeling deflated.