Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Graphic comparison of what #teachers are paid relative to hours work, via @timsmith32 – @ the chalk face

Graphic comparison of what #teachers are paid relative to hours work, via @timsmith32 – @ the chalk face:


Graphic comparison of what #teachers are paid relative to hours work, via @timsmith32

Graphic comparison of what #teachers are paid relative  to hours work, via @timsmith32
From multiple countries. We’re #1… in hours worked. You’ll have to scan down on the right to see the relative salary. Yeah, about that.


@dfernews @charlesbarone, so I get it, as an educator, I’m the cheeky one.

Something happened on Twitter last night that reminded me of a great post from October by Jersey Jazzman on the “wonk.” Young, upstart crows they are, no?
I was doing my part engaging in a public “dialogue” on the #SOTU. When I heard mention of Race to the Top, I commented that life really isn’t a race. So, let’s bag that metaphor, can we? Then, I get a snarky reply from chief DFER wonk, Charles Barone:
Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 11.16.02 AM
Yeah, I get it. I put the initials PhD in my Twitter handle. Why did I do that? I don’t really know. If I were to hazard a guess, maybe it was to confer some kind of legitimacy or credibility to my understanding of, you know, education and junk. But Barone is correct, I *totally* put PhD on there because I like to feel important. Absolutely, because I sacrificed that big-time fifth grade teacher’s salary to become officially stamped as a