Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Daily Kos: Turned Around

Daily Kos: Turned Around:




After four years, district and school administration finally made the teaching staff aware that our school is on year four of a five-year state turnaround plan.
Yes, as a staff we were aware our students had needs.
Yes, as a staff we knew we needed to improve student achievement.
Did we, before this month, know the full extent of the severity of the situation? No.
Did we know we might be forced into charter status by the state at the end of the 2013-2014 school year? No.
So now what?
Let me start by saying that I missed essentially the whole first semester of this school year because I was on maternity leave. My husband, older daughter and I welcomed a son (wanna guess his name?) into the world in late September. The point? I came back to a general