Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Roberts Rules of Order and TFA

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Roberts Rules of Order and TFA:


Roberts Rules of Order and TFA

I just listened to the KUOW report (not yet available) on the vote of the TFA member to teach Special Ed at Franklin High.  What a mess and yet, interesting.  Here's what I understand happened.

They had six members in attendance (I believe Director Smith-Blum was missing).

Apparently the vote was 3 yeses (Martin-Morris, DeBell and Carr) and 3 abstained votes.  So the Board Manager said it did not pass.

DeBell corrected her and said abstaining votes don't count, they have a quorum and the majority of the quorum said yes.

THEN, Ron English, district counsel stepped up and said he wasn't sure.

Now, as a former PTA president who is supposed to know Robert's Rules of Order (but I don't know them well), I