Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 6, 2012

NYC Educator: Am I Real? Or Am I ATR?

NYC Educator: Am I Real? Or Am I ATR?:


Am I Real? Or Am I ATR?

 By special guest blogger Suddenly ATR



I showed up to my assigned school Monday. I walked into the main office, introduced myself, and explained that I was assigned to the school for a month as an ATR. The secretary nodded, and I tentatively asked what I'd be teaching. (I knew I'd be subbing in some capacity, but I still expected to be in a classroom.)

"Teaching?" she said, horrified. "You're an ATR, you don't get classes."

Ok then. What was I supposed to do?

"Well every day you show up at quarter to nine, and you're going to be helping out in the office. You know, answering the phone, lots of paperwork, stuff like that. Are you good on the phone?"

I was a little surprised. But I went to the "welcome back" staff meeting, where the principal, who seemed a nice