Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 25, 2012

School Tech Connect: More Wagging of the Dog

School Tech Connect: More Wagging of the Dog:


More Wagging of the Dog

So, the cigarette tax/hospital property tax just passed, raising what, $800m for Medicaid? Now it's headed over to the Senate. We'll see.

I'm posting it because in the back of my mind, if the cigarette tax passed, then the pensions were going to be successfully attacked, and I guess I'm sticking with that little prediction. There's a certain momentum in the air, isn't there? It's almost as if the outcome in the legislature is decided and that we should be focusing our phone calls on the negotiators of the We Are One coalition.

Judging from all the little complexities that are being thrown into the pension mix, I'm guessing that it will all be decided in court, pension-wise.

We're living in an age where the dog is being wagged by two easy-to-solve, yet intractable problems: our inability to tax wealthy people in the traditional way (progressively), and our inability to start a national health care system like the rest of the world.

Anyway, I'm glad they were able to raise the cigarette tax because I think its benefits outweigh the fact that it's a