Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 21, 2012

From Isolation, to Collaboration, to Leadership « InterACT

From Isolation, to Collaboration, to Leadership « InterACT:


From Isolation, to Collaboration, to Leadership

This guest blog post comes to InterACT from Cate Kruse Schroeder, a bilingual-kindergarten teacher from San Jose, CA.  A member of Accomplished California Teachers, Cate wrote this post by request, to detail her recent leadership in promoting National Board Certification in her district.  (DBC)
On the wall at my district office hangs a plaque. My name is on it with the name of about 20 other teachers. In 2007, I worked hard to get my name on this plaque; that is the year I became a National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT). This small plaque is a display of accomplishment. But truth be told, it breaks my heart a little.
Perhaps it shouldn’t. Accomplished teachers are being recognized, and that is a good thing. They deserve to be recognized. They did important work on behalf of their students. At the moment, however, my concern is not about what they accomplished, but how they did it. Each one of these teachers pursued and achieved certification in a culture of isolation. With no support or encouragement from their employer, they sought collaboration where they could find it. Once they did receive certification, they received little acknowledgement.