Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Phony Stories About Schools - Bridging Differences - Education Week

Phony Stories About Schools - Bridging Differences - Education Week:


Phony Stories About Schools

Dear Diane,
Yes, Diane. Why? Why? Why are "they" doing it, and why are people buying it? I tend to speak to teachers, who are less inclined to buy into the idea that they are the source of the trouble and must be replaced. But ... the others?
I'm counting on you for some wise advice on how to tackle the larger fear that feeds it.
Like you, I find that the totally uninitiated tend to be surprised when I tell them I'm against the school/teacher/public bashing. That the best schools are those that have not abandoned respect for their teachers, students, and families comes as a welcome surprise to many. Yes, read about Finland, I say. Read Richard Rothstein's "old" The Way We Were?. Read Diane Ravitch. Read me.
Most find it unbelievable that there was no past golden age of schooling, or that our economy didn't tank